1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just my great luck once it starts snowing

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by blk90s13, Dec 2, 2007.

1. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

last night i figured to be prepared and get my plow on the truck just in case the storm turns into a real deal storm and i get that call to start plowing

so i get on the parkway to go pick my plow from storage as soon as i got on the parkway check engine light comes on and the truck acts like **** up shifts and down shifts on its own feels like its time for a new trans again :cry::realmad:

that cummins is killing the trans every year pretty much any suggestions on something really beefy out there ?

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i had that happen a month ago on one of my dodge's...luckily it was only a throttle position sensor confusing the trans

edit..i thought banks had a trans?

3. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

4. Zack1978

Zack1978 Member
    from NJ

IS it true that Dodge got it's act together after 04 with the trans?

Zack

5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Has anybody tried the billet type oil pans on the transmission?

It says that its got aluminum fins that are supposed to help with the cooling and I'm always up for that. But if its just a gimmick nevermind.

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

Zack1978 "IS it true that Dodge got it's act together after 04 with the trans?

Zack"

we've been talkin to the dealer about replacing a few of our trucks with new cab&chassis and the automatic now has 150,000mi waranty:eek: but that's on the new 6sp auto's,

7. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

We have 3 dodges all over 300 000 kms 1999 2001 and 2003 all tow and the 2001 plows, None have ever had transmissions. After we have worked them hard eg a good hard 3 hours, we stop to look over our sheets, refill the coffee and make phone calls, we let the truck sit in neutral and idle, Cools the transmission. We do a transmission service every fall before plowing.

I had one truck have some weird issues which we thought was transmission or turbo, it was really reving up and felt like the gears were not changing, Turned out to be 2 sensors that needed to be cleaned. I got an article off a diesel forum and cleaned these 2 spots and next day truck worked 10 times better. Seriously I dont know how the 2001 hasnt had a transmission we work that truck, its also chipped with a hypertech.

8. TEX

TEX Senior Member

the older trans (47RE) do have some probs but before you spend $5K on a built trans. you can usually put in a good torque converter and valve body and improve it a lot. not if its already shot dont waste your $$$ on the same trans. get a Gorends or suncoast or any kind of built trans that can handle the cummins. it will cost ya but do it once do it right.

the 6 speed auto on the C&C's is the Aisin and the 6 speed auto in the regular trucks is the 68RFE by chrysler.

the newer trucks have the 48RE which is suspose to be better but mines at the dealer right now for some tranny problem and i dont even plow.

9. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

i had a 46rh in my 95 dodge and it ran out of fluid twice and it was still good but the 3rd time on the high way locked it up tight

dodge had a problim with rusty lines every time it ran out of fluid was from rust

but i have a 02 and its really good it only has 35,000 miles the 95 had 114,000 when it .blew but if it wouldnt of ran out of fluid it would of been great for another 100,000

go with a 5 speed tranny i seen some 5 speeds with over 300,000 diesels still the same tranny and motor also looked at a 96 2500 with the diesel in it and it was on its 4th tranny and this one was messing up

so i think the 5 speeds were pretty good trannys

10. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

ended up being a bad speed sensor phewwwww i am glad its was a $29 fix hehe :nod: