1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just my .02 - 2003 & newer Dodge Owners Beware W/Blizzards

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by ed salvatore, Dec 2, 2005.

1. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Just my .02, but wanted to relate my experience for what it's worth.

I had a new 800 installed 3 weeks ago on my 2005 Ram 2500 Quad at Portsmouth Ford, Portsmouth, NH, and noticed right afterward that the upper attachment arms, especially driver's side, were not sitting up tight against the bottom of the frame rail as the built-in shelf was designed. About a 1/2 inch gap on the driver's side, less on passenger side. And, you can forget about loosening the bolt, and trying to readjust.

Portsmouth Ford seemed puzzled and told me to "take it back in and leave the truck for a second day".

Well, after speaking with several other Blizzard dealers, I received some conflicting information. They were very accomodating (especially Paul's Auto), and some "urinated" all over Portsmouth Ford. One camp said that it was a lazy install and that it should have been "made" to fit up tight against the bottom of the frame rail by "egging out" the factory bolt holes. The other camp said that on the newer Dodges, it was a common occurence, that you could not get it up tight against the bottom of the frame rail, especially on the driver's side.

I called Blizzard Customer Relations, and spoke with "Jonathon" at extension #22 to ask if it was a Blizzard design problem or did Dodge somehow change the frame on the 2005's. He told me he would speak with his engineer and get the straight answer. Well, after 6 days with no call back, I called him again. He explained that his engineer was out sick with a family problem and no answers could be obtained. He agreed that the shelf plate should be up against the bottom of the frame rail, because otherwise, any force up through that attachment arm was being absorbed solely by the one 1/2 inch bolt at the top of the arm to the frame. He also agreed with my suggestion that a piece of "filler stock" should be fabricated and welded in to fill the gap.

I asked if Blizzard was willing to reimburse the cost of a welding shop to do this. Probably minimal cost, but wanted to see what he would say. He told me that I needed to speak with another gentlemen at Blizzard, but he too was "absent that day with a family problem", but would be in tomorrow, and connected me to his line. I left the same message for him, and he called back several days later. He left a message for me that such issues should be directed "back" to "Jonathan" at extension #22. So I called "Jonathon" back and left a message explaining that his colleague said that "he" was the man to speak to about this issue, and asked that he call me back. Well, he as yet, has not returned my call. Yep, pass the buck and get the run around. OK.

Not for nothing, but absolutely piss poor customer relations.

With snow in the forecast for Boston the next couple of days, I made an appointment this Monday at a local welding shop, and they said they could take care of the problem and weld in some filler stock to take up the gap. So, I'll burn a half day's pay, plus the cost of the job, to fix this problem.

Again, great customer service by Blizzard!!!!!!!

Just my .02.

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Well from everything I've heard their customer service sucks (pretty much like everywhere else these days) but they do make a great plow.
  3. This problem has been discussed on here before. I think the resolution was to egg out the hole on the frame. Before I would have something welded, I would check this out, one way or the other is right. You need to make sure which one, it seems as if you don't rest on the frame then the plow will be out of alignment, it may be very little, but I would be concerned.:dizzy:
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Im wondering if the customer service will get any better now that they have been sold. :(
  5. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i would guess that all dodge owners should beware with blizzards. those plows are awfully heavy for dodge's notoriously weak front ends

6. I think they will, being that Fisher and Western have some of the best customer service out there. It may also be that their product may improve a bit with the years of research that Douglas has behind them..:salute:
  7. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I have a 860 on my 05 quad cab looked underneth and everything is snug right up to the frame.I do remember them saying it is a ***** on the dodge to get a few bolts ,I think they said they made up a tool to make it a little easier?