1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just lost everything

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by kg26, Feb 9, 2014.

1. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

This is unbelievable I just lost all of my ledgers that told who owes what, are their any pc guys out there that can recommend a program for resorting old files. Stupid hard drive.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Let me guess, no external hard drive or cloud service.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If hard drive is dying stop using it now. Any computer store should sell the cables and program to recover what you can from it. Little sister is a computer techy person and this how she recovered a hard drive for me.

4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I had a computer die. Brought it to a computer repair business they were able to get off my data off of my old PC and put it on the new one. Worth the money. Because my thought was I could mess things up worse then even an expert will not be able to bail me out.

5. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Bingo 100% the case

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Alot of the programs now have a recover setting where you can recover back to a certain point in time, try that first (If you can get it to boot up) then get yourself an external hard drive backup and start using it..

7. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

That was the back up. Excel said the file was in a different format when I click open nothing is in the cells.

8. ddobson

ddobson Junior Member
    from pa

If you've written to the hard drive since you've first noticed the issue, it will make recovery less probable. If you have a spare pc you can install the drive as a secondary hd and copy the data over, assuming it's not encrypted. Try the cable/recovery program that kimber mentioned as well, but if your original excel file is corrupted you could run a chkdsk on the drive, repair the files, then copy off the data and replace the hd.

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

take it to a computer shop ASAP, don't use the computer

10. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

NO I didn't write anything to the drive.

11. ddobson

ddobson Junior Member
    from pa

Then you should be in fairly good shape. If you take it to a computer shop see if they can image the disk first to preserve the original hd. This way you can make several recovery attempts and still have your disk to work from if all else fails.

12. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

Agree with the majority.....any computer repair guy.....I have all billing and accounts on computer and also made a paper copy(2) for my files....in case the above happens again....having two copies is in case I have to give one....to easy to say I will just make another off the computer...and then not do it and don't think of it till ...well

13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Call me old fashion but I write everything in a notebook. Then at the end of the month do my billing on QuickBooks. You can't crash a notebook...

14. procut

procut Senior Member

^ Yup - exactly how I do it as well.

15. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

It was on the external.:angry:

16. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

This is like a flash back to a very bad memory, arrrrrghhh! Stupid computers..

17. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

I switched everything over to QB Online this year.....best thing I ever did. Don't ever have to worry about drives crashing or being corrupted and making back ups ever again. And since I access it from my phone my billing gets done way faster as well.

18. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Seriously we are talking about hundreds if not at least a couple thousand of dollars in revenue that will take me at least a week to fish out the hard way by means of looking what checks I have on hand form clients, dates where snow accumulation was 2" or more, and invoices that I had drawn up 3 days ago. Might as well get cozy I'm going to be here a while.

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same here, all handwritten invoices ,the entered into QB

20. ddobson

ddobson Junior Member
    from pa

That's useful to know. I fixed a 1.5 TB ext. drive like this in December. So run the chkdsk on it. It may work it may not but it is sure better than trying to recreate from paper. At least you can get the info. in needed.