1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just looking for opinions..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jan 16, 2007.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

We finally had some snow about 1/2 in.I went out just to check my lots because I'm all seasonal.There wasn't anything to plow but I did see 2 places plowed. Now my question is..if you do only per push and this is only second time you could go out would you plow and charge your customer even though you contract said min. 2 ins.and would you expect them to pay? This is not an insurance question.

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

This is tricky. Clients might feel that the plower is trying to get some money out of them because it has been such a poor season for some. All you can do is stick with your trigger and use your best judgement. I always check the weather for the next day. If it is going to be warm, I usually don't plow, or I'll call the client and have them give me the heads up. Just becuase you might be dying to get out and plow, you can't let that feeling overwhelm you. Especially if it means pissing off a client and wasting your time pushing snow that you're not getting paid for.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I check with and try to advise my customer. If the temps raising I say one thing if it's falling and the stuff will turn to ice I advise differently. Could be rather then plow you should go shake some salt an burn it up.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, it's kind of tricky. I have mostly 3" triggers; some 5" and some seasonal. Yesterday about 3:30PM, I measured 2.5". Snow was tapering off and would quit within an hour (adding nothing to the measurement), temps to stay below freezing with freezing precipitation predicted and chance of more snow. I decided to plow the seasonals, go ahead and plow the 3" places; then just deal with it if they called to complain.

Well, by the time I was done with the first seasonal, a lady on 3" trigger called on the cell phone to ask when I'd be there. Another place I was plowing, the lady came out to talk and thanked me for coming around and making sure she could get out. Then - get this - I got a call from a potentially new customer who wanted me "only when it was really bad - like today":eek: Huh? And here I was thinking maybe I shouldn't be plowing it at all. Then you get the guy who complains you plowed needlessly when there's 10" on the ground.:rolleyes:

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Seasonals shouldn't complain. They should want you there any and all the time.