1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just looking for help on choosing a new plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ColoradoKid, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid Junior Member

I am not commercial. I started researching what plow to buy and it appears it depends on several issues. I was hoping to give my situation and see what several would suggest.
    I am just looking to plow my road (3/4 mile) plus my drive (1/2 mile). I live in the mountains (foothills) of Colorado so at times we get hammered. The biggest problem is with wind blowing (100MPH) the snow back after plowing so I want to throw it as far as possible off the side of the drive. I have a 2007 Dodge Ext. Cab. Short Bed, Gas Hemi. Our road and drive are dirt/gravel with the occassional rock sticking up. A concern for a poly plow?

It seems the locals are Boss, Snow way, Western and Meyer.

What do you thing? Steel, SS, Poly, Straight or Vee? Any brand suggestion?

Thanks
    :help:

2. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Boss XT steel 8.2

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Stay away from poly for what you plan to plow
    Dealer support and service is more important then brand.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A Boss 8'2" V plow would work good for you IMO.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Isn't the power-vxt made to throw snow farther to the side with the tall flares at the ends of the blades. Seems like that would be a good choice. Or just drive faster with a regular blade :D

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

By the way, plowing and "occasional rock sticking up" should not be mentioned together. :cry:

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For the ultimate, I'd suggest a stainless steel V-plow and side wing. Then, if you want to really get with it, get a tailgate sander. You've now spent a ton of money and ruined a nice truck.

Seriously, an 8' straight blade should do it. Any major brand.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

One of the rare situations I would recommend a trip edge. If drifting is an issue then a Vee is a good idea, Which with your dealer choice leaves me with having to recommend my least favorite manufacturer of the three and suggest the Western Vee.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

You forgot to mention that he needs a F550 and deisel motor, or he'll never get it done right:D.........seriously though, I would have to agree that if you use a little bit of common sense and a little bit of strategy you should have no problems with a 8ft straight blade for your situation.

10. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

new meyer Super V2 8.5' wesport:D

new meyer v2 8.5.jpg

11. 2feetdeep

2feetdeep Junior Member

I would go with the Boss V-XT