1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just installed whelan hide away strobes on pick-ups

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by General Grounds, Jan 2, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

:eek: just installed 2 trucks w/ the whelan hide away strobes. wow, much better than the orange magnetic light on my roof. the strobes hardly have any draw on the battery and are very effective. very pleased with them, just hope it would snow now so we have a use for them. they were very esay to install, had a little hitch with the wiring on the first truck but once i figured out the wiring dia. it went smoothly, second truck was a breeze, the worst part on both trucks was the routing of the wires. just thought id let you guys know if you were thinking of gettin them. Tony

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

I have a whelen system in my truck thats amber in all 4 corners with a 90 watt power supply. what type of trucks did you install em on and what power supply did you go with?

3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i have the nova systems.i noticed they have hardly an draw off the batt.better than running the flashers they suck down to much juice

4. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

i installed a 90 watt 6 way system, 1- f250 p-up,and a gmc 2500 pick-up. i will purchase 3 more for my other trucks this week, got a pretty good deal on the net. tony

5. mdb landscaping

good deal. Hope you have good luck with yours. so far i havent had any problems with mine either.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I bought the 90 watt Whelen 6 strobe setup too.It is awesome when it works.They will work for 10 hrs,then go out for a few then come back on,I always test for power,and its there,ground there,trigger wires have 12v,fuses all good,unit is never hot to the touch.Ive had them in 3 storms now,and have had to slap a magnetic cheapo light back on the roof the last 2 storms. i am running only 4 bulbs,i dont think that should be an issue though.When these things work,they are great,I especially like having them in the rear corners of the truck so when you back up near a road your visable.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

John - the strobe power supply will automatically shut down if it either overheats,or detects a short in the strobe light wiring\bulbs.When it resets they come back on.Water in the connectors is the most likely culprit,or the power supply may not be mounted to solid sheet metal to help remove heat.

8. John DiMartino

Wyldman,thank you for the reply.I kinda figured it may be intermitent short, I followed the wiring,its all good.I have the unit mounted on the floor,on top of the carpet,pulled down tight with 4 screws,so that could be a problem.My friend installs these things all the time,ive never seen him mount them on metal yet.As soon as it shut off the first time,I put my hand on it,and it wasnt hot to the touch,that ws the first thing i suspected. Where this is mounted the floor isnt flat anyway,(under the drivers seat)and the unit would not be able to sit flat,maybe spacing the unit up an inch to get an air gap under it would help,thats about all I have room to do. The underseat area on the Ram is huge,this is at least a 6" air space above the unit,so air flow is not a problem there.I have way to much stuff in my ram,I have added so many accesorys,im out of room to mount stuff!I could mount the unit to a flat steel plate about twice the size of the unit to dissipate heat.1/8 thick,then mount the plate to the floor

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I had mine originally under the drivers seat,and had a similar problem,and it didn't feel that hot either.Maybe it has something to do with static discharge or grounding ? I have since mounted mine to solid metal,and it no longer cuts out.It has also eliminated the little clicking noise it used to cause on my two way radio as well.One other thing to check is are you using bulbs with amp style connectors or sealed weatherpack plugs.If they are the open amp style,they will collect moisture and trip the box sometimes.

If I remenber correctly,your ram is an extended cab,correct ? If so,there is a great place to mount it,just behind the rear seat,against the back of the cab.You will have to partially unbolt the seat to do so.I have my cell phone tranciever,strobe unit,and a relay panel mounted back there,keep things nice and neat,and out of sight.

10. John DiMartino

Ive got a Ram quad cab,I have a 2-10" sub box under my rear seat also. only problem now is extending all those wires or running all new ones-arggg.I have the flat 3 way connector,not weatherpacks,this may explain some of the problems.I did use dielectris grease on all the connectors,but im sure they got wet plowing,and driving in the rain.,thanks for the tips.

11. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

waterproof all of your connections....

12. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

SD Ford Power supply location

Where are you all putting the power supply on the SD Fords (mine is a 250) ? I have a set that I want to install, and I took off the lower section of the dash in the center section. There is a nice opening there where the power supply can "sit" right on top of the floor air ducts. My only concern about this place is that if the heat is running through the ducts it may not allow the unit to cool as well. Any thoughts ? Or other locations ?

Thanks,

13. iski3d

iski3d Junior Member

I have installed the whelen system on four different trucks and i just put the power supply rite on the carpet under the seat. i have never had a overheating problem. I think on the ford superduty this is your best bet. on my superduty extended cab i put it under the rear seat.

14. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

iski3d,
    I was going to do the back seat, since I have the extended cab, but I keep the seats up most of the time since the dog rides back there and she doesn't do well standing / sitting on the seats. I hadn't thought of the front seat, thought it might be troublesome if the seat gets moved back and forth. How about the back wall, behind the rear seats back rest ? Also, think there is anything wrong with my under dash location ?

Thanks

15. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

Rob,

I have a 2001 250SD. We also run a fleet of 450's at work and after 4 years of plowing in these trucks (diesels), they generate alot of heat up front near the firewall. So I was thinking along your lines of it may be too much heat in the front center of the truck.

So, on my supercab I placed it dead center, behind the rear "seat". This could also be accomplished on a reg. cab or crew cab. Its just enough space to fit the powerpack(esp. a whelen unit).

This also allows the 15' wires to reach the front and rear corners of the truck. Ran the front wires through the firewall and under the trim/kickplate to the power supply. Then I ran the rears thru each grommet behind the cab wall towards the bed. It was just enough wire to reach all light assemblies.

I could take some dig. pictures tomorrow when I'm at the shop. Today its to cr***y out.

I do have AMP connectors and have had no problems with the supply shortening or connectors getting gunked up.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2003
  16. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

bam,
    Pics are always good !! I'll PM you with my email addy.

Thanks very much,

17. oakster1

oakster1 Junior Member

Well said ceaman....
    thats the answer fellas.
    If it cuts out periodically, its definately a moisture problem.

The Whelen power packs are essentially bullet proof and aren't likely to overheat.

A little secret I learned from the boys who wired the vehicle I drive the other 40 hours a week (and it lights up like an xmas tree)........silicone all connections..... and then silicone them again

18. John DiMartino

You guys got it right,this storm strobes were working great,I washed the truck like usually at the truck wash,strobe stopped working,wouldnt work all night long,today they work fine again.How do you waterproof those flat 3 wire connectors?DO you clean them,and wrap them in tape,or pull them apart,and solder/shrink wrap them individually. Im dissapointed in whelen,if they need this why dont the offer a version for extreme service with weatherpack connectors on the one end,you only need them on the end that goes to the bulb,the other end should be inside the dry cab anyway.

19. mdb landscaping

John, i know what you mean. I went through my fathers touchless car wash with my truck, and when i came out i tried the strobes, and they pulsed. I tried a few minutes later and they worked fine. Ive only had that happen twice before though. During storms i dont really have any problems at all.

20. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I put dielectric grease in the plug and coat it with dielectric or silicone then shrink wrap, or waterproof tape it. You could go to the elctrical supply shop and get underground connection sealant.