1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just installed Hide a Ways in 3rd Brake Light - VID

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by millsaps118, Jan 9, 2010.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Shot a quick crappy cell phone vid of the hide a ways I just installed in a '02 HD up in the 3rd brake light. 36" Voltex arrow stick inside cab, all corners have whelen tubes powered by a SoundOff Gemini 6110.

I'll try to get a better quality vid up.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/twister199/3rdBLhideaways.flv">

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

That's sweet- about how long did it take you? And where did you route all the wires? Two white whelen vertex's are perfect right there. Good job

3. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Looks good.

4. millsaps118

I ran the wires under the headliner then down the trim panel along the back door. This is on a Crew cab so my power supply is right behind the back seat, driver side.

Just to clarify, these are NOT LED Vertex, just regular Whelen strobe tubes.

5. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

lights

sorry the video made them look like led's.. I think anyone with a GM truck with clearance lights could put two lights in the front amber roof lights and two lights in the 3rd brake light and have a nice hide a way set up.

6. SafetyLighting

What power supply are you using?

7. millsaps118

Sound Off Gemini EGT6110

8. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

always wanted to do that..

9. SafetyLighting

Ohhh, you added them to the existing power supply, ok. I did see you mention that PS in the first post, but thought you added another one. Well it's a really good location, I just have concerns about the assembly melting.

How long have you had that PS and how do you like it?

10. millsaps118

I was only running 4 heads on this unit. I've been running this power supply for about a month now, I cooked my last one! So far this Sound Off seems to work good but I've only run it for a total of about 30hrs.

The location in the 3rd brake light is a tight fight but there is so much room for air flow to keep it cool up there. I was worried about it melting the brake assembly too, but so far it's holding up. The outside of the lens does get pretty warm, but not warm enough to concern me.

11. SafetyLighting

Was your last PS a Gemini or something else?

12. millsaps118

North American Signal 6 head 90W. Worked good for a few years but their strobe tubes were junk. They would always burn out. That's how I ended up cooking that PS. Was out plowing a few weeks ago and 2 heads went out, then a 3rd so I was down to 1 working and never thought anything of it, until my PS started making really weird noises and then I started to getting that electrical burning (something on fire) smell!!!! Powered it off and ran back to the PS and pulled the fuse. I can't believe it didn't pop the fuse first! :dizzy:

13. SafetyLighting

LOLOL, that sucks man sorry to hear it. You shouldn't have any problems with that SOS ps. I use the Gemini for all my command vehicle installs because of the available strobe indicator. I've had really good luck with them.