1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just installed HD making noise

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by speedy1wrc, Feb 15, 2014.

1. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

I just installed a used HD on my 2003 Ram 2500 and am not sure what to expect.

Side to side if is nice and smooth and it coasts to a stop. Up and down it is noisy and abrupt. It jerks to a stop and shakes the whole truck.

Also I've seen on a number of posts alternate repair parts other than OEM. Is there a compiled list of spares and/or maintenance parts with or without sources?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. automoto

automoto Member

i have the same truck and plow, 2004 cummins with 8' HD MM2. You can adjust the drop speed on the pump by turning the quill. My plow will bang when angling and hitting the stops and i thinks its inherent with the weight of the plow. When i bought the plow my dealer gave me an extra motor relay, hoses, and quart of oil which i carry around in the truck in rear seat storage. The link below is for the owners manuals, if you have a MM2 HD page 73 in the manual has the schematics and the instructions for drop speed adjustments etc. Hope this helps!

http://library.fisherplows.com/publications.asp?cat=38

3. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

I was up late and found another post with the same symptoms as me. I DL'd the manual and read it. My motor pump assembly was all painted so the quill is stuck. I have to clean off some of the paint to free it. I also checked then fluid and it's low, so I need to top it off.

I don't have a Fisher dealer within a couple hours drive. Any recommendations on a brand of fuid to add/ flush and replace it with? I do have a Boss dealer not too far away. I would like to maybe make one trip and stock up on anything I might need while there.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You want to run the blue plow fluid as its made for cold temps. As far as a Boss dealer, I doubt much of their inventory would work on a Fisher plow but you never know

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Our dealers stock parts for all brands even if they don't carry them. Can't hurt to ask

You can use boss fluid either way it's all the same

6. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

I stopped by the Boss dealer and they actually carry some Fisher common parts. I picked up some fluid and topped it up. It wasn't down much, just below the fill elbow where I couldn't see it.

I had someone operate the plow while I watched and listened. It turns out it was the chains. They were all twisted, and once I straightened them out it, no more noise.