1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just installed an 8' Pro on my 08 F250

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 66 BADBOY, Nov 14, 2010.

1. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Landed a good deal on an 8' Western Pro Plow. Found a guy on Craigslist that won a free plow at an open house at a nearby plow shop. He didn't need the plow, so he put an ad on CL for his shop credit at a discounted rate. I made a lower offer for it, and we made a deal. Saved $800 on the plow, plus I didn't get it installed. I did it myself.

And that took a loooooong time!! Dealer said they can do it in 6 hours. Took me a total of over 20!! YIKES!! Spent about 2.5 hours Friday night trying to make sense of all the wiring harnesses and somewhat vague directions. Finally just laid all the wires out on my kitchen counter and once I figured them out, I labeled each one with masking tape.

Saturday from 8:00 AM till 9:30 PM was spent removing the bumper, installing the brackets, installing the truck wiring, putting the bumper back on, and getting the springs and a-frame on the plow.

Went from about 10:00 this morning till 4:30 PM doing the rest.

Felt good saving the install money, but what really made it worth the time was now I know every aspect of this plow and how its on my truck. Plus I know its done right.

Now I'm just waiting for the snow to fly. Might be overkill for doing my own driveway (200ft x 30ft, plus I'm at the end of a cul-de-sac), but I couldn't beat the deal and I wanted something that would last me at least 19 years when I retire to somewhere WARM!!

[​IMG]

2. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Plow looks great. Anyone can pay someone to do work for them but there is just a sense of accomplishment when you tackle a project like that on your own. I just put mine on about a month ago. Have fun with it this winter I bet you end up doing more then just your own driveway, plowing get addicting.

3. 66 BADBOY

66 BADBOY Member

Thanks Ram. It does feel good.....now that its over!! LOL

I installed an old Meyer on my 89 Dodge about 5 years ago. That was pretty straight forward and easy (plow itself was already put together). But this was my first real install from scratch. Kinda scary because I just got the truck a week ago. The only part that I wish they did different was how you have to tie in your turn signals and parking lights. They are not just plug and play, they have to be cut/spliced/soldered in. But I imagine they can't really cover all the types of turn signal connectors. I think headlights are somewhat common (H13, etc) between all truck companies.

4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Good to see you got her on there BadBoy, and that new V10 beastie looks beautiful! Make sure to get some pics "in action" come this winter.