1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just hit 50k.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PremierLand, Sep 1, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Well, I just hit 50k miles on my truck today....

Ive only had this truck for 3 months, and it had like 35k on it when I bought it. LOL.

Im looking forward to plowing with it.

Other than getting tranny fluid changed, diff fluid changed, new fuel filter, and new tires, is there anything special I should do to it, before winter?

thanks guys!
  2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

At 50k with winter knocking on the door I'd run it through a full service as a precaution, but I tend to go overboard a little. Trans Service (regardless of Manu. suggestion) F&R Diffs, transfer case, air filter, lube chassis, rotate tires, check: plugs & wires, brakes, belts and hoses.

What year is your truck?
  3. PremierLand

from detroit

its a 2001
  4. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Have your alternator tested. I blew one at about 50k on my 01 HD, and with only 2.5 seasons of plowing on it. And check your U-Joints, if they start making noise, replace them. These things may or may not be a problem, I though Id mention it because I have pertty much an identical truck to what yours is and Im doing the same thing as you.

Troy Roelofs
    Cornerstone Landscape Management of West Michigan
  5. PremierLand

from detroit

thanks... monday im getting my exhaust fixed, flashers fixed, and i have a steering pump problem, so im getting that fixed also so ill have them lube it all up and check everything over real good. Damn now that I think about it, I have to change my brakes and get new tires.... then at the end of october im taking it back in for a tranny change, diffs change, fuel filter and all that good stuff.

and im pretty sure the former owner had a new alt put in on it around 30k miles
  6. PremierLand

from detroit

okay this is what I have planned for the last week of october to get done...

Scrub down real good, wax with corrosion x wax... drive it to the shop....

Get cooper tires put on.
    New front and rear brakes (pads and rotors).
    Front T-case and Rear diff fluid change.
    Tranny Fluid Changed.
    New Fuel Filter.
    Coolant Flush.
    New Surpentine Belt.
    Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap and Rotor.
    and Maybe new batterys.
    Turn those Torsion bars up 6 turns!

Thats about all I can think of. Anything else I should Add to the list????

I want to make sure my truck is in perfect working condition for this winter.

thanks guys
  7. PremierLand

from detroit

I just got a quote from the shop. Everything is sopossed to be 890+tax, and thats NOT including tires :(
  8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Do the belt and fuel filter yourself. Why change the plugs, wires, and cap? If its not running rough wait till next year for that.

Regards Mike
  9. PremierLand

from detroit

true. since its so expensive, I might have my bro do some of it (him and my dad used to be mechanics) if he will.

but your right ill wait on the plugs and such until next year.

Mike, anything else you can think of that you would reccomend that you usually do to your trucks?

Thanks again Mike,
  10. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Mark- You could probably be able to change your diff fluids your self. I am pretty sure that there is a drain plug on the diffs that you have to pull and then refill. Check to see if your truck came from the factory with synthetic rear fluid. I believe they all come from the factory that way, but I am not sure. If you switch the front to synthetic, you will have to get a white vent cap. You can get this from your local GM garage. I guess the factory one does not like the synthetic oil. Also, if you are adjusting the t-bars, make sure you get an alignment afterwards but I bet you already had that planned after the tires.

11. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yea Mark
    Make sure all of the strobes are working and get you a light for the roof. You are right about the Alt. Have the battery's load tested to see if they are weak.

Regards Mike
  12. PremierLand

from detroit

well im doing these myself, with supervision of course:
    Coolant Flush
    front and rear diff fluid change (if there is a drain and fill plug)
    surpentine belt
    fuel filter (if its not in the tank)
    and brakes

the trans fluid change im going to get done at the dealer....

im taking my truck in tommorrow to get my hazzards fixed, exhaust manifold fixed (it rattles), and my stering pump fixed (has a small leak that doesnt even leak really), I figure I mine as well get all these fixed under warranty while I still have it for another 8500 miles.

do you guys think I should just the the tranny fluid changed tommorrow while its in the shop, or should I wait until november. Only reason I want to wait until november is because i will still be pulling my trailer and working it everyweek until the last leaf cleanup, so I would feel like im using it up, lol. my dad said to just get it done and it wont matter if i get it done now, or a month from now.

what do you guys think?
  13. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I would do it now if you have the time. 2 years ago we cleaned up leaves all day, and went straight to the shop to hookup plows, spreaders, etc. Took in a meal, shower, and plowed 2 straight days in November, 3 days if you include the all day leaf cleanup day. Never know what you are in for. Better to get it now if possible. Don't know about you, but leaves keep us pretty busy.