1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just had to laugh!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We lost a set of condo's we have been doing for the past 3 years to some company that no one in the industry has ever heard of. He told the Association he has been in business for 30 years. Their first clue was when they didn't do the fall clean up til' about 2 weeks ago (about a month late) and showed up with one 1/2 ton truck and a 1 ton (nicer truck) and 2 rakes, 2 tarps and 2 guys...LOL. This place is fairly big, probably 200 yards long and about 50 yards wide with 52 units in it. Their second clue should have been when they apparently forgot to cut down half the perennial plants etc. as they are still there. Well last night we got probably an inch or so but it was wet icy stuff and these condo's sit on a fairly steep hill so between last night and this morning's additional 1/2 inch or so I thought these clown's would have at least salted the main driveway but nope! nothing but shinny tire marks of cars sliding up and down the drive. Bad thing is this main entrance leads out to a main city road where people usually drive 40 mph....can you say T-BONE!

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like that might be good news for you
    steve

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Sounds like opportunity knocking. Give them a few more weeks and you'll probably get it back.

4. Brian Young

Kinda what I was thinking. I'm sure they are set up for pay like we were (every month) and so far they've done a half assed fall clean up and that's it BUT collected 2 checks by now. It should be an interesting year.:popcorn:

5. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

it will take an accident for them to change due to price.

6. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

if they ask you to come back tell them its twice the price you did it for last year. that will teach them a loyalty lesson.

7. Brian Young

Oh, I agree. But if things keep going this way I will probably get asked back to at least put in another bid next year. I will say as much as we needed this account and it being a complete PITA to plow, it was nice for a split second just driving by and LOOKING.

8. Brian Young

Updated "had to laugh" thread.....the "clowns" did a beautiful job plowing these condo's. WE were required to back drag ALL parking areas when we did the initial plow in the early am....their job...... just pushing the main isle and leaving behind the big chunks of wet snow that rolled off the ends of the plow the size of a basketball to beach ball's behind everyone's car, AND no salt again. I cant believe no one has slide into the main road.

9. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

You get what you pay for. The lowest price is not always the best. Go back in a month just to say hello and see what happens.

10. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

You will see it taking some time but they will get fed up and go with someone skilled but unfortunately money is important so they will have to get real pissed. In missouri I get underbid constantly because we get so little decent snows and then when it actually snows more than 3 inches none of the companies can keep up and my phone goes crazy but they still think it will be close to the lowballers price. Not understanding that is why they had to call me again anyway

11. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

I wouldn't do that if I wanted the customer.

12. Brian Young

Ahhhhh yeah, I would just keep the price the same as it was. There salt bill might be a bit more but not by much.

13. Brian Young

Newest update!!! :laughing: :laughing: I drove through the condo's (in my mini van,the spy vehicle,lol) just to see what type of "quality service" they have over us (cause I'm still pissed!) Holy crap is all I can say. Instead of back dragging and pushing the snow to the designated spots they pushed all the snow into parking areas, into houses...YES into the sides of the houses, into air conditioning units, into all the shrubbery and at the top of the parking lot we were told several times "NOT to drive on the nice grass, just stop at the end of the concrete". Yeah, they pushed the one side about 20ft back leaving huge ruts in the lawn. Instead of back dragging the 18 upper driveways and pushing the snow to the top where it goes, they pushed it off to each side of the driveways scalping just about every lawn. I figured they would do a fair job at best but holy crap its like they just started plowing....."30 years in business" yeah right! I can't wait until this snow melts off this week to see all the damage. :laughing:

14. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicWhat I find remarkable, is when this happens to me, how long it takes the powers that be to finally rectify the situation.:dizzy: I too have a spy vehicle and it just boogles my mind when I see all the stuff going on from storm to storm. Sometimes they get away with this crap from y ear to year:mad:

15. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

What no pics?

16. stillen

stillen Senior Member

just forget it and move on..... it's just business.... i'm sure you have plenty of other accounts.... if it's going to keep you up all night, you're better off forgetting it.....I've lost accounts that i've had for years due to low ballers . I was mad at first, but in the end it's just the nature of the game. I've been called from other lots that i mow and plow asking for a quote on services. I know for a fact that the firm that handled those units were one of a bazillion from my area. I still know most of the guys, and it always feels like i'm taking food off their tables, it goes both ways and i try and not take it personally..... i hope with the time that you have free now, you can score a larger more profitable account and have pride providing a superior service to a new customer....

OR.

you could go take your spy van and crash into a unit from the ice and then just go sue the association for not having adequately cleared roads. Just find a suitale reason for being there, like "visiting" a friends there..... lol

17. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Stillen your post pretty well sums it all up. Thats the best course to take Part 1 I mean

18. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

When it melts off, I surely think pictures are required.

19. Brian Young

I just might go do that,lol. I know I should just move on but I like sharing my satisfaction of crap service with every one.

20. There is an old saying here that applies to this client...

"I'm too poor to not hire the best" ....

It means being cheap will often cost you more money in the long run...