1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just got my first account

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by R1lukasz, Oct 19, 2014.

1. R1lukasz

R1lukasz Member
    from Chicago

Just got my first account for 2014/2015 that I'll be working on my own, I was working for snow removal company for the past 10 years so I'm no rookie but I need help from U guys , the lot is 250000 sq/ft located just north of chicago it's a hotel , I was able to get sesonal rate 33500$ all inclusive except blizzard condition . The problem is I need to get equipment ready to do the job, at the moment I have 40xt case skid steer its one speed but It can load salt and push some snow and 06 f150 fx4 , what are my best options? Get pusher for case , how about truck ? I know it's not the best truck to put plow but I have to start somewhere
  2. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Your best option is.... good luck, hope you don't loose your bottom...
  3. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

The Case with a pusher and single speed, not a good combo, unless you have short runs. I would say a plow for the case and the truck is light duty, but if that's the only truck you have then make the best of it. Do you have anybody that you can have help when they're done with their route ? I would have some back-up just in case you need help. The hotel will need constant service, but the entire lot most likely won't have to be done because of customers. Hopefully it's busy and most of the spaces are occupied and you're mainly doing lanes.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Jumped in first?
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why not just order a 2015 350 and a new wideout? Or mp3
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

The F150 will work but keep up with the storm as best you can. Maybe find a lighter weight 8 footer or a 7.5 with wings. A 3/4 or 1 ton with a plow that can haul the Case with it's own plow would have been good to have before signing up this account. If you aren't going to have a spare truck, make sure to have some reliable friends with plows. If one of your pieces of equipment goes down....you're gonna be hating life.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  7. R1lukasz

R1lukasz Member
    from Chicago

I'm planing to keep case on site and put plow on my truck that way I'll have 2 machines that I can use if one go down , like I said I have to start somewhere , I just got tired working for company I'll have many people that can call to plow but I want to maximize my profit so I'll do all labor myself maybe just on bigger storm I'll get some help. This will be only account I have to do this winter vs 10+ working for company
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If this is the only account and you can dedicate yourself solely to it, then I think it will work fine. However, keep in mind that time is money. You still need to be efficient even for just one account.
  9. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Good for you, and good luck! What hotel is it and where is it located?
  10. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Congrats! But I'd buy a 2nd truck. With 33.5k you can afford a good used truck
  11. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

congrats ! when do you receive the first draw ? where are you purchasing / storing the salt ? how many more trucks are you using . did you spell seasonal sesonal and 33500$ in the contract ? what unit is spreading ? is it really 250000 or 2500 sq.? getting mixed figuring here . sounds a bit far fetched plowing acres of land with an f150 . you sound confused .
  12. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

subtract tax
    salt w/delivery $$$$
    and hope it does not snow. at all:laughing:
  13. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Well you don't pay tax per month, at least I don't.my insurance is $170 a month.What's he renting? He's got a skid and plow truck.6 acres usually equals 6-7 hours with one truck so with a truck and skid steer max 5 hours, going rate around here is 15-20 for drivers so he's looking at a $100 bucks a storm for labor.and let's say $100 for fuel.salt should be there and paid for before the first flake hits the ground so that's not comming out of the first check. So if there's 3 storms in November I see $600 in expenses so with an additional 6100 I don't see why he couldn't but something used.
  14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My understanding is that he is doing this completely alone unless he has a break down and needs a buddy's truck to cover for him.
  15. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

You are most likely going to shoot yourself in the foot if you don't bring in a subcontractor. One big snow that you can't keep up with and your going to be scooping it all up with the skid.

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

That's size lot you need some machine to help the truck. Skid is a good start. F-150 is on the lighter end but will work. What are you spreading salt with? What are you doing walks with? Truck with a v plow might help or a small pusher on the skid.
  17. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

6 acres alone with a 1/2 ton and a skidsteer? Wow.

You'll be stuck like a pig in a poke if we get dumped on this winter (quick 6 inches of heavy snow).
  18. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

And being chicago, we have no real good clue when the lake is gunna turn on, and for how long, and where at exactly.
  19. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

lol, some of us are reading your post thinking.. "must be a haha gotcha post"...

is it 25,000 sq ft or really 250,000? 250k sq especially if its wide open is damned big for an f150... we use them to but i'd never anticipate using them as our ONLY truck for a site that large... you'd be fine with a couple inches though.

What will you do when you get 2" and hour or an 8" storm? 12" storm or worse, 20" etc... you'll be burried.

How heavy is the skid steer? small one won't do a whole lot, full size one you have a much better chance.. problem is a 1 speed is painful on big lots... You really need machines that are 2 speed, 8mph minimum full throttle and heavy.

If you owned larger trucks for larger storms to help, i'd say go for it, but if thats your only account, maybe find something smaller for the first site, or something under 100k sq.

FYI we can do with a 12mph new john deere and a 10ft push box, and me driving, about 2-2.5hrs on an empty 270ish k sq ft lot. thats optimum conditions with only 3-5".

It will get hairy real quick with a lot of snow though. Can you sub contract a guy with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck or F550 equivalent with bigger plow to help plow whenever you need him?
  20. R1lukasz

R1lukasz Member
    from Chicago

thanks for all reply, just to be clear lot is about 250k sq/ft salt is 130$/ton delivered to site insurance is 1500$ , now at this moment I have case 40xt and a f150 , yes I can have somebody plow for me but only if needed I'm thinking 6 in or more coz I'm trying to maximize profit , yes 33.5k is not a profit I'm thinking I should make about 10k to 18k depending on snow fall, the question I have is what should I do to make most money without spending all on brand new f350?