1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just got my brine sprayer set up and have a question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kcplowman, Dec 23, 2009.

1. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

The sprayer is my lawn sprayer that I just had an electric valve plumed in and everything is 1 inch including the boom and the pump is an ace pump with an output of around 100 gals per minute. The boom is about 8 feet wide and I am thinking I am just going to drill holes in it. Can anyone give me an idea on the hole spacing and size? Thanks.

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't like the idea of just drilling holes in the boom
    tw9950-0014-Nozzle-Bodies.jpg

How about these for about $10.00 each plus a wide variety of nozzles for precise control?

tw9950-0014-Nozzle-Bodies.jpg

3. Kubota 8540

These nozzles on 20" centers. Sounds like you have a nice setup already. With these you can size your nozzle tips properly and get the right amount of liquid applied.

4. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

I will see if I can steel my sisters camera and take some pics. The boom is not so great, just pvc but I wanna get my spacing figured out and see if I like spraying brine before I start spending alot of money and time on making a real nice boom. I almost went with something like those but they only hold one nozzle. What type of pressure and gallons per minute do you usually run. We are suppoed to have a storm tomorow evening and if I decide I like the brine(I think I will I made a few gallons and tried it on some ice and snow in my driveway with a hand can and it worked great) I will make a nicer boom and use nozzles instead of just drilling holes. I was thinking that a fan might work better on snow and stream might do better on ice? Thanks

5. Kubota 8540

My triple stream nozzle tips hit the ground about 6-8 inches apart. So maybe 6" apart. When I first tried what your doing I think the holes were 1/8" diameter but don't remember exactly. I don't like spraying brine on ice. Deicing in the sense of de-snowing? My pump will deliver 160 gallons per minute but only about 18 gallons a minute hit the ground. 9 nozzle tips spraying at 30 psi at 2 gallon per minute. Average on snow about 1.75 gallons per 1000 sq ft. Less snow less liquid. I have sprayed as high as 100 gallons per acre or approx 2.25 gal/1000 sq ft. I prefer the triple stream mainly, unless I'm spraying straight liquid calcium chloride, then I use fan type.

6. Boominator Eco series nozzles are a lot less expensive than the original ones and throw a great fan pattern. Using a left and right angled on the end of the boom and a full fan in the center will give you a 30ft-36ft pattern. They throw a large droplet size so windy conditions dont blow it everywhere. Some nozzles that thtow a fine mist don't work well if there's any wind.

It's easy to make a boom from plumbing pipe and fittings.

[​IMG]

7. Kubota 8540

Personally, for boomless I prefer Boom Buster nozzles. BoomBuster Nozzles.JPG

BoomBuster Nozzles.JPG