1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just got my BOSS Power V and have some questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Grn_Mtn_Boy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Grn_Mtn_Boy

Grn_Mtn_Boy Junior Member

Just traded my BOSS Super Duty Trip Edge for a new 8.2 Power V. This being my first V plow, I had a couple questions about it's normal operation :
    Is it normal for the plow to "trip" when raised in the full Scoop position and backing up for another pass? Are the springs not tensioned enough or is this normal?
    When putting the plow into full scoop from V or straight position, is it normal to have one wing considerably slower then the other? I thought they would operate at the same speed but the right wing is always slower then the left. It works fine when run by itself but always lags when used together with the left wing. This isn't just by a little, it's a ways out of sync with the left wing.
    Any thoughts?

2. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

let me know how you like the v

I'd like the control of the v but I'm concerned about the lack of a trip edge and the additional 70 lbs of the v since according to Ford I shouldn't be putting a plow my 08F250 diesel truck at all.

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

The plow will trip in the scoop position in the right conditions. Make sure your trip springs are properly tensioned. Tighten them so you can put a business card in between the spring.

4. Grn_Mtn_Boy

Grn_Mtn_Boy Junior Member

Update:
    Tried different functions when I got in my truck this morning. If I hit the left wing for a moment and then run the right wing out (only pressing the right wing control button) the left wing will continue to move out while the right wing is moving. This can't be correct. When I reverse the scenario, hit the right wing and then run the left wing out, everything works as it should.
    I do have Smart Locks on. Is there a valve sticking or a solenoid bad?

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

ya thats not right with the way the wings are moving.

if you press both wing buttons to send them forward it will move much slower than operating them one at a time due to the fluid draw, so i always do one at a time. but this issue with one still moving after you let off the button is a problem.

as for the blade folding down when in scoop up in the air, your trip springs are too loose. maybe they are worn or just not tightened enough. if i put my plow in scoop and then raise it in the air, it will stay upright unless im stacking a bunch of snow which is when i hold both retract buttons to straighten it out slightly.

6. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

I agree with ProTouchGrounds^^^^^...When only pressing one wing button, only that wing should move, so something is definitely not right there. However, when pressing both wing buttons up to put it in scoop mode, they should both move a little (til they are in the "straight blade position"), and than one will move fully forward, than the other will move fully forward. This is because they are sharing the hydraulic fluid from the pump, and the fluid shifts to push one than the other since the fluid cannot fill both cylinders at the same time. That part is normal, and the way it is supposed to operate, but I would have your dealer look at it for why the left wing moves while pushing the right wing button, that makes no sense.