1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just got my 2500HD!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Playboy, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Picked it up yesterday. Made the dealer remove the dam advertising sticker they put on it which I told them I didn't want. I made every one stay late cause they close at 7 and I got there at 6:50 :)
    My wife was very impressed at how the truck drove. She is 6 months pregnant and she found the seats comfortable. She's been in my F250 and when we hit bumps she says she feels like a hill billy...
    The stereo is ok but i'll be changing it anyway. She's gonna get pissed off because i spent days putting a $3000 system in the Explorer I traded in. I need my clear music...... I'll be dynamatting the chevy this week for starters... :redbounce
    It's kinda cool knowing how many hours are on the engine with a push of a button.... I got the LS 6.0. This truck has got some power but with only 14 miles I need to baby it a bit. I feel the gas pedal seems to have too strong of a return. You really need to push it to go. When I shift it seems the shifter like to drop into 3rd rather the drive easier. So far i'm very happy.

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Cool deal! Change your rear end and fluid in the front after 500 miles. The front has stuff that looks like baby ****!

the dieselplace.com has a lot of info for the HD owner. Good stuff even if you dont own a duramax.

3. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

What fluid do i use?

4. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I was wondering about a radio swap as well. I heard the chime goes thru the factory radio and you need a special kit. I have onstar and the phone so I think I'm stuck with the factory Bose system. I really isn't bad, but it will not rattle the windows in my neighborhood.

Good luck with your new rig. Post a few pics.

Buy the way, I was going to remove my dealer advertisings as well. But my dealer never put it on. It was a deal swap, so the must have forgot :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  5. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Don't ya just hate those stickers?!! I had a feeling I heard the seat bell chime coming from the speakers.... I don't care for factory amps so I might just hard wire my after market radio in. When I got my Explorer in 2003 It sat for close to two weeks with no interier because I rewired everything and put sound deadening on every panel in the car. I even had the carpet out! My ole lady was like, are you going to be able to put all that back..... When I traded it in yesterday I made sure I didn't give them the keys till I was about to leave because I removed all my stuff and the door panels where left with 1.5" holes from my tweeters...
    If you get a radio with a phone input and AUX input you should be fine. I'm not sure how onstar works but I would think it's a separate unit that hooks up to the radio. If you call a local stereo shop they should be able to answer your question.

6. ratlover

from IL

The new GM radios are a PITA to deal with.....well not really that bad but a bit anoying. There are a few pretty sharp guys over at dieselplace that are up on that. You do need an adapter deal if you want to retain alot of stock stuff. And there is no hot when on or keyed hot like older trucks, the dam thing uses a bunch of 1's and 0's, all new fangled digital wizzardry I tell ya, freaky lil SOB.

Use what your rear calls out. On mine it calls for a 75 90 for regular use or 75 140 if you tow extreamly heavy. I run 75 90w mobil one in mine but I have the 14.5" axel. Front got 75 90 mobil 1 synthetic. You can use the factory "grape juice" but its really expensive or you can go with any other syn from a brand you prefer that meets the needs(if your rear requires syn, you have a locker?)

I am a big fan of all of Mobil 1 products. I have seen thier ATF take some MAJOR **** and still be cherry red and not look or smell burnt. Its held up to my abuse and held up in my trans and other trans I have seen that failed and had some crispy internals and the fluid still looked good. JMO

7. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Yeah it has the auto locking rear. I will see what it calls for. I also like Mobil 1. Walmart seems to have the best price so far. I saw they had the radio install kit but i didn't even look for the wiring harness cause I will most likey hard wire my radio in. I'm not going to go crazy but I'd rather run my own 18-16ga wire then use the stock 24ga wire.

As soon as i sell my F250 I will be getting a plow for it. I was thinking of getting the Fisher X blade. I found a dealer that wants $4200 for the 8' X blade installed. $4000 for the 8' HD.

8. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

My truck didn't come with the roof lamps but it came with the provisions so i will install a mini LED light bar at some point. I've been seeing some good deals but with a kid on the way (making it 4 for me) money needs to be spent wisely.. Thankfully I have a supportive wife but I still buy responsibly.

9. ratlover

from IL

Just get a simple dual or single rotator and fish the wire for the blinky light(you have the plow prep and the button right I assume since you say you have provision) and snake the wire down from the head liner and out the little grills in back of the cab between the bed instead of drilling holes in your truck. Put it on a trailer plug or quick conect so you can pop it off in the summer. Build a bracket to mount it in the stake pocket or mag mount it to the roof(personaly dont like that wroute but to each his own) and you'll be golden. Plenty of warning and rotators work best in the snow IMO. Not fancy but it will get the job done for around 100$

Or you could go for the more Bling approach if you dont mind spending the extra $$$

10. ratlover

from IL

Trust me when I say its a mother to hard wire all that stuff in. GM makes it a PITA. I think jpcustoms.com makes some simpler stuff. I put a line level converter on my front channel and added an amp on that and different speakers on the factory CD and am pretty happy with it. Have a little switch to turn my amp on and off. Its a PITA but it works I guess. :rolleyes:

11. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Hard wiring is pretty simple. Run the yellow and red wire to the fuse box. Yellow getting constant power and the red going to the timed delay relay. Every thing else is just running wires through the doors which at times can be a pita.

As far as lights, yes it has the switch on the dash and the wiring is there. I was also thinking of hide away strobes in the corner lenses hooked up to that switch.

12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Something to think about with the strobes in the corner lenses, some guys hate the flashing reflection of the back of a yellow blade. It can drive you nuts when your tired.

13. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Hmmm I didn't think about that..... I could always spray some black undercoating on the back of the blade....That would take care of any reflections. I'll definitely decide what to do before fall so all these ideas and tips are useful.

14. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Ratlover:

You run the suncoast stage V, you race your truck and have a ton of fun. I been checking the diesel place and there is overwelming info on all the programers etc. I just want to keeep everything stock, what do you thing is safe not adding the EGT probe and exhaust? Edge EZ? Preditor? I just want to be quicker than other stock trucks with out poping codes and frying the ECM.

15. ratlover

from IL

If your going to tow with added power you need to add a pyro to monitor your EGT. Edge makes a nice box with lotsa added features and with the attitude it can function as gauges. Another program I really like is Steve Cole's stuff. He dosnt put stuff out untill its 100% right. I believe he says that with his smaller tune(a 40 HP added IIRC) you can tow up to the GCVW no worries. I believe I remeber him saying that. Steve's site is ttspowersystems.com His programs are ULTRA smooth and drivable and seem to run cooler EGT's than the comprable HP tunes from others from what I have seen. I plow in his 80HP tune and its very controlable(in the neighborhood of 340ish to the rears). Also a cat back exhaust(TTS supposedly has one of the quitest systems out there, if you like loud then MBRP and others seem popular) will drop EGT's a bit and if you ditch the cat it will lower em even more. If you want to ditch the cat on an LLY(what you have) you need some finger sticks from what I have read to keep the code away and it will let you nuke your EGR too! Do a search over on the place on finger sticks if interested in that. There is a cool guy that makes/sells em named fingers. Predator seems pretty popular with the LLY guys too. Predator has more nuts than the smaller tow tune I was telling your about from tts. Shoot Steve an email at www.ttspowersystems.com and see if what he has is what you are looking for. www.hdiesel.com is who I buy alot of my stuff from. I've been to marks shop a couple times and he is a really cool dude. I duno if Mark hucstorf sells tts stuff or not? I bought my program from Steve but mine isnt a regular off the shelf kinda deal.

Edge, TTS, or maybe predator(LLY guys seem to like it alot) would be who I looked at. hypertech and super chips ect make some cheaper cost wise stuff but I personally dont think I would run em. They do work as do every tuner out there but I would probably bounce between TTS and edge but if I had an LLY I may look at predators(diablo) stuff

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Thanks Ratlover for you advice I'll check them all out. I know myself i I buy an Edge I wouldn't be able to resist cranking it up. I may be getting older but i'll never grow up from that stuff.

O yeh.. Your from IL .. I just went to Bloomington IL last week, Installed some equipment at Verizon. nice airport... in and out in 2 seconds.

17. chriscampbell

chriscampbell Junior Member

Radio

The reason why you need a special adapter for the new Gm vehicles is that the radio has become the brain for the car in a sense. All the electronics run through the radio. ie. factory alarm, power locks, safety features. The kit just comes with a long wire so you can put it somewhere else in the car/truck. Then when the factory radio is wired to another part of the car it gives you room to put in the aftermarket radio/tvs that you desire.