1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Got An F150 - advice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Plowbie, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

Hello All,
    Great Site - I'm new. God I love forums to get informed.

Ok, I just bought a used '97 F150. Pic should be in my title. It's stripped to the bone right down to the crank windows but I love it. It does have air and 4 wheel ABS but thats it. Here's the rest:
    111,000 miles
    Auto trans
    4.6 litre V8
    Std Cab / 8 ft bed

I paid an even $5,000 for it.

To be clear, I didn't buy this truck with the intention to plow it. I know from reading old threads that F250's & F350's are better built for it. But it is what it is and I own one now. I have a good sized paved driveway that I hate snowblowing and would like to plow it. While I'm at it I could easily get a few driveways around here to take care of and maybe make a few bucks. Is this a bad idea? I've read mixed things on here. Ok, lets assume its ok to do in moderation. How do I get an affordable setup? I really can't drop $3k on a plow. Used? Which? If something exists I love to look for it.

I have the orginal window sticker and it says it has the optional (no charge) 3.55 rear end instead of a 3.08. I see in the specs that this increases towing capacity. Does it do anything for plowing?

Finally, obviously this is a great plow forum. But can anyone recommend a good all around F150 forum?

Thanks for any help! :)
  2. crashz

crashz Senior Member

First - you have a nice rig. For $5K, you got a deal. But the thing is that the new 150's aren't really set up for a plow. A light plow from Fisher, Snoway, Western or Blizzard would be fine but I'd make sure its less than 600 lbs and make sure you have a transmission cooler (tow package).

I continue to toy with the idea of putting a plow on my 2001. But I depend on it as my daily driver and as of yet haven't had any serious problems with it. I've also never plowed with a half ton, everything I've run is a one ton pickup or larger.

BTW- a great F150 site is: www.f150online.com