1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just got a call to do Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cold_and_tired, Oct 20, 2009.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Now that they are saying we are potentially getting snow, my phone has been ringing off the hook.

I got a call from a property management company (not USM) and they asked if I could handle a few Wal-Marts that they have not gotten contractors for.

I told them I would help out but my contracts come first.

How could you not have contractors signed up this late in the season?

2. mattitude78

mattitude78 Junior Member
    from WV

My phone has been ringing lately about some of the SuperStores. Sams, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes. Looks like all have sold out to "service contractors". We usually have our contracts in place by now, but we are still a month away from potential snow or ice most likely.

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

People are really slow at signing around here as well. Still waiting to hear back from some commercials.

4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

SEVERAL HERE TOO...seems like every week a few come in, every week a few go another direction and every week the other are deciding next week. Then the next week, becomes the next week.

5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

The commercial accounts are waiting for the stars to align and some lowballer to come in and do it for basically free. With the economy the way it is you can better believe thats what they are hoping for.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They can not find anyone to do it at their offered rate:nod:

I got a call yesterday, "we're looking for a new contractor." My first question is always "why aren't you using the guy from last year" Normal answer is some variation of We are unhappy with the service instead the guy says "We're looking for someone cheaper." I told him it wasn't me.

Snowplow customers can be just as bad or worse. Had a guy Monday ask prices, after I gave them to him he looked at me and said "that's more then I want to spend" I thanked him and he stood there. "Something else" I asked "are you going to sell me a plow or what" was the response. Surprised I said "I thought you didn't want to spend the money" His reply "Knock 20% off and you can install it today":laughing::laughing:I thanked him for the offer but suggested he try elsewhere. He threw my card and the literature across the counter at me and left murmuring about @ssh@les never staying in business with that attitude.:eek:

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Italiano that is right! The (2) big ones (not companies but LOW LIVES/BALLERS) here have to almost full, hence why lately we've been getting more contracts??

One of them has been around 2 seasons OWNS NOTHING and subs everything out including salting! The other has been around 1 season and subs out nearly 100% of everything and has a few junk trucks. We do also sub out some plowing, it is more common in our area then other areas to use subs but we do have a fleet of our own plow trucks, salt trucks/salters, hand workers etc. Kept our pricing where it needs to be so we will

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

still got a few that arent signed.....frustrating as it is, I know that I will most likely have a few stragglers each year waiting till the last minute....luckily about 80% of them signed up a few weeks ago, as soon as they got my contract in the mail (& a few got hand delivered)