1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just got a call from USM about the walmart in my area.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick76, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

These guys are nuts.... This is on of the biggest wallyworlds in the northeast (over 13 ac) and their just now gettin around to finding a snow contractor? When I ask them about this the stated "ya, we're alittle behind right now".....ya think! I passed on this for a number of reasons... seeing their contract (for those of you that do it...my hats off to you...too big of a gamble in my book) you guys with the info on here!, can't get enough extra salt lined up, my equipment is spoken for on another site, and you can't rent the right amount of equipment for what they want to pay (much less get it at this point in the game).

I hate passing on work but I think its the right move........

Anyone else gettin calls this late in the game?

2. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

Chances are they are just trying to get you to bid the job low or at their numbers. Then they go back to the store manager (that wants to keep last years contractor) and say here is are the numbers. If last years guy drops his number he still does the work, if not they say here is your new contractor. Whats the store manager going to do? Stay with last years guy with bids coming in lower. I don't think you passed on work you just didn't give them a bid to force last years guy to take a pay cut. From USM point its great timing. You said it, you need the equiptment. Last years guy has it, has the salt, has the guys. To lose a large job like that isn't easy over profit.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Is this in Augusta? I'm just curious what they're offering considering all the equipment they had dedicated to that site last winter. I know a few years ago it was a real mess, walking through 6-8" of snow - this winter could be interesting.
  4. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I'm guessing not because he lives in Wi.
  5. ComSweep

ComSweep Junior Member

We turned USM down flat. I like to get paid for the work we do.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't think so. OP is Mick76 from "Maine".
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Both the Auburn and Augusta Walmart are big. Who has the warehouse over in Lewiston?

JKMATHIEU Junior Member

Good Move. We have been asked about Ellsworth,Lincoln,Skowhegan,Bangor,Waterville and several others......Just hang up on USM!!! I have other WM and Sams that I retained due to previously signed contracts.
  9. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I think they are crazy. Talked to someone about a week ago then two days ago got a visit at home. Couldnt believe it. I agree with snowman. Funny thing is the guy from last year told me about it 2 months ago and said he was not going to do it. There shop is around the corner from mine and they didnt order the salt for it.
  10. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Not sure about plowing surface, but the building size of the distribution warehouse in Lewiston is gigantic!!

I had gotten a call on the wallyworld in Calais, but not only is it too far away for me (45 miles), it's over my head for the equipment I have.
  11. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

You know it's funny that some people say that they still have their WM. So next year USM drops the price and shows WM new numbers. Even though the contractor does good work it is a game of numbers. You guys NEED to watch the WM special on mnbc "The New Walmart" (I think thats the channel and I think thats what its called). WM wants the low number they don't have anymore loyalty then USM. Difference is that USM can do this for them faster and has the contacts.

As far as getting paid, YES, half the contract is how your not going to get paid. Its Bull$H!+ but they keep a tight leash and the contractor does the job. Sure for a year or two some morron is plowing with to small of equipment but in time there will be others wanted work and thinking wow $35000 for this. Im going to make a killing. They don't know that it used to be a $50000 job 3 years back.

The trick to doing a WM now is knowing your costs and bottom line and deep pockets.
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have Rockland also?
  13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

hey guys, im in auburn. most of my accounts are in auburn/lewiston. the site would need 3 loaders, 2 skids, and 2 trucks w sanders. its huge. now the dist center is crazy huge! the largest ext contractor has that this year. he can have it. nothing but headaches from previous contractors ive talked too. before usm took over i had a bid for 160K for the snowservices for the season. itll probably go 4 under 100K but it wont be from me.
  14. mattitude78

mattitude78 Junior Member
    from WV

The Wal-Mart we have taken care of here in WV the last two years is over 16ac. The price that USM wanted was 9,000$ for a season!!!!! They show the lot as being less than 3ac. I have told 4 different people with their company that it is much larger but won't give the specific sq footage.

We usually get 2 or 3 snows of 2-4inches and one larger one 6+inches. Most of our work is ice treatments.

We lost one of our other Wal-Marts in a neighboring town for a 15,000$ per season price. I can't compete with those numbers.

The store manager at the larger store has been told by corporate Wal-Mart that things are taken care of and not to worry. Hope it snows on Black Friday.
  15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

does walmart even have a store with a 3 ac lot?....lol
  16. ultimateinc

ultimateinc Senior Member

just curious, you guys bid these huge lots for a flat season price do they pay that price up front, or monthly , or half up front and half at the end of season?
  17. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Monthly for me, and I believe its the same with most. Additional services are all billed monthly as well.
  18. mattitude78

mattitude78 Junior Member
    from WV

In the past we have always work on a per service contract paid monthly. Now with USM in the picture they are wanting risky seasonal rates, where you won't get paid on the last payment. Payment will be made at the 1st of the month and paid about 45 days later, if you have meet all of their requirements.

In the past I have always enjoyed working for Wal-Mart, I don't have that same feeling about USM.
  19. jnova

jnova Junior Member
    from MI

Does anyone have a # i can reach the usm at to talk to about on my bid on walmart.
  20. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

lol thats a good one :laughing: