1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just got a call from a friend

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IMAGE, Jan 9, 2009.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Hey Man you still taking customers at that promo rate you had last fall. I say "sure buddy I can add you in" , thinking its for his house. Then he's like well its for my friend, she wasnt happy with her bill, it was too high last month, and is firing her current guy. So I tell him, "sorry we are not taking that account". He can't understand why I dont want this account.

So I explain to him, that the snow plow guy doesnt make the snow fall. He just reacts to it. She had an agreement with him for $X amount per service, and we had a record month of snow (40"), so of course her bill is $400. And I ask him to explain this to his friend, that its not her current guys fault the bill is high.

I have no idea who was doing it currently, but I dont want customers who don't like thier bills.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I applaud you.

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Yeah everyone had sticker shock at thier december bills. I feel what the other plower does also. It's not our fault we had a whole season average worth of snow in one month. She should of realized 'hey he sure has been here alot, its gonna be expensive'.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have to admit when I looked at some of the bills I sent out, I was like "Holy BEEEEEEP!!!!" But you know what if they want their drive / lot clear, there was no other choice. And like you said, we don't make the snow.

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Nice to know some people still have ethics. Not his fault the bill was big. I had the same reaction to my invoices holy cow. But we could be dry the rest of the season.

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Impressive alot of guys would have just taken the account and walked away...I think I would have done the same as you did!

I to was shocked at the amount of some of my bills in December...but what is a guy to do it snowed ALOT!

7. ERCKWD

ERCKWD Member

Well done, one of the hardest things to do in this industry and esp. in this economy is to say, "no" good for you, it sounds as though this customer would have been a headache.

8. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I would do the same thing and have.

9. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I got a customer who said they can't afford to pay me all the time, she's 89 years old, I'm out plowing/blowing snow at 6:30 in the morning, I told her if she wants it done, my first drive is across the street, and if she wants it done, she has to catch me while I"m there, otherwise I can't afford to make special trips down to her house. Plus another guy doesn't want to pay all the time he waits till he can't get into his driveway with his car and then calls me, thats when I raise my price so high I wish he'd drop me, cuz he's such a tight wad. Last snow storm, he was front bumper got stuck in the apron of his driveway, he calls me and said he's stuck and needs his driveway cleared. I told him I was out blowing snow 15 hours ago after it stopped snowing, and I'm on my way out the door for a date, I'll see if I can't get your driveway tommarow. Thats' happened more than once. You'd think he would get the point to call me at 8 in the morning, leave a message with somebody at my house so they can call me, but NO, He doesn't want to pay, I tell him I blow peoples drives when there are 2 inches, and he wonders why................

10. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

on an average driveway with above normal snow fall doesn't sounds like too bad of a price if ask me . she can complain all she wants not his fault . BTW did she call the local news station and complained to weather dept for " sending all that snow " I salute you for being professional about it . most people don't realize its not are fault we are running a business thats all :salute:

11. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I have a guy who has 8 houses with me and he pays per push. I charged him 5 times the last month and he was complaining that his bills was to high and that he wants to drop me but isn't positive. He tells me his last year guy would give him breaks and not charge him for the smaller storms. I laughed and asked why he wasnt still plowing for him..He said he wasn't operating a snowplow business but was a landlord himself and was already in the area...and then later mentions his truck keeps breaking hah...I thought i was treating him very good by charging him once with a free cleanup later in day... low ballers

12. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a very good response to that complaint IMO. Very proffesional. :waving:

13. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I always keep the customer informed of where their bill is at on a very regular basis. Nothing worse than a big surprise bill and there is always more plows than they remembered. It helps me avoid this situation anyhow.