1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just got a 03 Ram 2500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by eman5oh, Aug 15, 2011.

1. eman5oh

eman5oh Member

So I just got rid of my F150 and jump to a Dodge Ram 2500. I have a Curtis snow pro 3000 plow and am going to mount it on the dodge. My question is will I need to do anything for the front end to handle the plow. On the Ford I cranked up the torsion bars and it worked great, not sure on the dodge it is a bigger truck but has coil springs. Any advise? Thanks

2. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I have a Hiniker 8 1/2' V on my Ram 2500. I have the cummins in mine, with Timbrens on the front axle. Handles the plow fine, with the plow and the 1100 pound engine! What engine do you have in your truck?

kevlars

3. eman5oh

eman5oh Member

I have the 5.7 Gas. I was hoping the truck would handle it with out any mods and not have the front sag too much, The Curtis is in the 800lb neighborhood though.

4. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I would think you would be fine with the Hemi. But, the Timbrens don't really modify anything. They just keep the front end from sagging to much with the weight of the plow. When you don't have the plow on, they don't affect the ride or anything else.

kevlars

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Timbrens are nice but Ballast is better.

6. eman5oh

eman5oh Member

I ran 450lb in my f150 and plan on running it in the Dodge make a big difference.

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You do not need to do anything to the front but i would suggest at least 600 pounds in the bed. BEHIND the rear axle.

8. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I run a 9.5 XV on my 03 Hemi without mods. Handles it fine, I run around 1k lbs in the bed. Squats just over 1 inch when raised. If I ran around plowing for ten hours every storm I would run Timbrens but I just plow 2 drives. Congrats on the truck, you'll never want a half ton again.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've run various blades on my 2005 weighing as much as 1K without timbrens in the front. I have them in the back to handle the 2 yard spreader I carry about 1/2 full while plowing.

10. Rece5.7

Rece5.7 Junior Member

I have an 03 but it is factory plow prepped. Plow prepped or not you should be fine. You can call the dealership and have them check the vin as it might be factory plow prepped already. Nice truck you'll love it pushing snow but keep it clean underneath to keep rust down, I have the engine out of mine now replacing exhaust manifolds and the oil pan. I also wanted to check the clutch after 8 years of plowing on it (it looked great). Nothing leaking yet, but it's only a matter of time and I don't want any problems during the winter season.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011