1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just got a 01 F-350 diesel dually suggestions for coating underneath

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MSsnowplowing, Apr 16, 2016.

1. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Really didn't need but I couldn't pass on it because the price was right.

I'm going to make this into my plow truck, taking off the bed and putting a alum. flatbed on it for the sander.

Before I put the flatbed on it, I want to treat the underneath, any suggestions for long term.

Was looking at fluid film but wow it has gotten pretty expensive about $50 for a gallon of it.

I remember looking at a 5 gallon container of it for $90, same one is now $180, double the cost.

dozens of different products out there so if anyone has had good results please share.

thanks all.
  2. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Siloxane, solvent based
  3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i clean, coat real good with ospho, let it dry, then prime and paint.
  4. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Bar and chain oil heated up.
  5. MSsnowplowing

thanks for the suggestions
  6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Can we get some pictures ... please
  7. MSsnowplowing

I well be doing before and after
    Taking it slow so it well be a few months before I'm done.
  8. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I also would paint it then bar and chain oil. Fluid film doesn't seem to hold up for a full winter
  9. MSsnowplowing

Well after putting the work into under coating, a new alum bed, front end work and had it all set for winter some guy pulled in front me with about 5 feet to spare, I had time to hit the brakes and go no no and I tboned him and then slammed into a telephone pole.
    needless to say the truck was totaled.
    good news he was responsible and his insurance is paying.
    bad news I lost my plow truck and now trying to find another one.
  10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Not trying to hijack the thread. This is the back of my 02 f-350. Its a work in progress. Right now I'm replacing all the brakes. All lines, everything. I pressure washed, ground the bad spots, pressure wash again. The brushed rustoleum primer, then paint. FPPF Makes a red spray grease. Gonna sray the heck out of it with that and hope for the best.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016