1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just got 2 Cat 236's

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by G.McNeill&Son, Oct 30, 2010.

1. G.McNeill&Son

G.McNeill&Son Member

We just picked up 2 Cat 236's skid steers, ive always ran bobcats. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a 8' pusher for one and a 8' fisher power angle that I added wings too that brings it out to a little over 9'. Do you think it will have a problem moving snow

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have ran a 257B tracked unit, only in the dirt, but it was a AWESOME MACHINE! If I ever buy a skid it will be a cat. I think your machines will do wonderfully with plow, and the push box.

3. Maxamillion67

Maxamillion67 Member

I think they would handle it just fine. At work we have a 236 cat and at home I have a 242
    cat and they both seem to have enough power to handle what you are going to put on the front of them. I really like the pilot control on the cat. I think you will like your set up, good luck with it.

4. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

:realmad:You should be fine untill you recieve a 6" snow then good luck I think tose machines are too small for an 8' an 9' blades, they only have what under 50 hp.

5. G.McNeill&Son

G.McNeill&Son Member

They have 75hp with a lift weight of 1950lbs

6. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I have a bobcat 310---- 2000 lbs soaking wet powered by a 16hp kohler gas engine.

It will push 42" wide snow all day long-- if you can move dirt with your skid then snow is a lot less challenging. Deep and heavy wet snow requires pushing with the storm...but I assume you do that anyway.

Its all about traction and psi of ground pressure.

Maybe with a deep heavy wet snow the pushbox might be a bit of an issue. You can angle and unload the plow blade to relieve that issue but the box will get heavy quick. Not sure how many cubic yards of material the box holds but heavy snow can approach the weight of dirt. If you've run bobcats as you say, I imagine a comparative weight machine by a different manufacturer should act similar.

7. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Pushers from the protech site....

Model Width Approx. Weight Machine Application (Min.) Snow Capacity

SP06C 6’ 375 lbs 30 HP/ 2500 lbs 3 yd

SP07C 7’ 430 lbs 35 HP/ 3000 lbs 3.5 yd

SP08C 8’ 480 lbs 40 HP/ 3500 lbs 4 yd

SP09C 9’ 530 lbs 45 HP/ 4000 lbs 4.5 yd

SP10C 10’ 585 lbs 50 HP/ 4500 lbs 5 yd

8. mattslawn

mattslawn Junior Member
    from Indiana

i run a 8ft arctic sectional on my 236b2 and it pushes it without a problem, you will be just fine. Congrats on your new machines

9. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

If you have run the Bobcat pilot controlled units than I think you will prefer the feel/response of the Cat controls (I know I do). Not necessarily the pattern, but the precision of the controls. If you have only run the mechanical Bobcat controls than you will really like the pilots controls. IMO you should also have much better parts availability and dealer support.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  10. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

The 236 has a 3034 naturally aspirated, four-cylinder engine producing 59 net horsepower (HP). The lift capability is 1750 lbs.
    Not sure where you got you're info but it is incorrect.

11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

12. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

depends what model 236 we are talking about, but here are specs on all four
    http://www.ritchiespecs.com/compari..._1=92211&mid_2=92078&mid_3=108825&mid_4=92232

It should be able to push that 8 foot blade no issue (we run a 763G bobcat with a 7'6" plow and we only had issues with heavy wet snow, we are also running bald tires)
    you may run into issues with heavy snow and the push box, but with a good operator it shouldn't be a to bad