1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just getting started...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TFCfan2021, Feb 11, 2010.

1. TFCfan2021

TFCfan2021 Junior Member

Im new to the plowing business (other than plowing for other people) I have a 95 GMC Jimmy that I wanna use to plow with. Im looking for ideas on a good setup for that vehicle. So far the only plow I could find is the Homsteader, but Im worried it might be too light for heavy snow. And im wondering if I should use the 6'8" or the 7'4" (i think thats correct) on my vehicle.

Does anyone have experience with Homesteader Plows? Im looking to do my driveway and neighbors and small lots for now to get started. If anyone knows another good combination for my vehicle please let me know.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Jimmy will be kind of light duty for heavy wet snow.
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Idk about the homesteader, its ok if you do your driveway and maybe a neighbors, but i don't think its designed for much more. Check out the sno-ways, i believe they have some smaller plows that might work for your application.
  4. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

TO my knowledge, I have a '94 Chevy S10 Blazer, there are about 3 plows from 3 different companies that are light enough for that vehicle to handle it.

There's the Fisher Homesteader. I think they come in 6'8" or 7'4", maybe 7'6" instead of the 7'4". Either size, I think, would be acceptable.

There's the Western Suburnanite, which I believe has similar dimensions to the Homesteader.

And then there's the Sno-Way 22. It's a 22" tall, 6'8" or 7'6" wide plow. This is the one I'm looking into for my Blazer, That I'm aware of, it's the only one not chain lifted (which could be good or bad), and is also the only one I know of that has Down Pressure.

I would consult the dealers near you and get the pros and cons for each. Best way to find the information you're looking for, in my opinion. Also, I would consult prices.

In my area, the Western dealer doesn't have the Suburbanite, only the Midweight Poly's. And there is no Fisher dealer near me that I'm aware of. The Sno-Way 22, in 7'6", weighs around 280 pounds, and I was quote about $4,700 for a new blade, installed.

And, I agree with Hydro 37. Anything like a Jimmy or a Blazer will be a bit lightweight for the heavy stuff. When it comes around (when I have a plow on mine), I'll just plow often and keep with the storm. For resi's, I think little trucks like that would be great.
  5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I have a 99 jimmy I plow with as my main truck, it has a blizzard 680 on it and does a fine job. I am thinking of upgrading to a 720 moldboard just to get a little wider. As for heavy snow, it does ok, it just takes a little longer. Make sure you buy something with a known name (stay away from the big box stores). Also one of my subs plows with a s10 pu with a meyer 6'6" with out any troubles. Please note that the post just above this one says that the snowway is the only one not chain lifted, but the blizzards are also not chain lifted (they are direct lifted). Good luck
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  6. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

My mistake. I've never looked into the Blizzards, I was always told they were too heavy for my truck. I didn't know they were direct lift, I though the Blizzards were chain lifted. Thanks for correcting me.