1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just getting started

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by piperpm, Oct 18, 2009.

1. piperpm

piperpm Member

Hi from Canada - I am starting-up a family landscaping business on the side and have decided to get into snow-plowing as well this winter. We are servicing an area in a snowbelt in southern Ontario. I am in the midst of getting my 07' Ford F-150 4x4 XLT 5.4L V8 set-up with an Air Flo 7.5' plow, front-end Timbrens and Nokian (from Finland) M+S tires. Any input/suggestions on my plow set-up?? The Air Flo plow clocks in around 640 lbs. Lining up mostly residential clients all within a 10 minute drive of one another. Great site for information. Thanks.

PPM

2. piperpm

piperpm Member

I forgot to mention before everyone starts posting - yes, the operators (brothers) do have a landscaping/snowplowing background... we've just been out of it for a few years and have decided to get back into it on the side within a small town setting.

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to the site and I sure hope you have customers already lined up.
    Getting new accounts will be tough this late in the season.

4. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

WOW, an air-flow on a half ton?? I looked at those and was told 3/4 ton or bigger only.. They are sharp plows though!

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Driveways still shouldn't be a problem around your area .People wait until EC calls for a snowstorm then they start calling on plow companies

6. piperpm

piperpm Member

Thanks for the input so far - we've had our ads out for about a month now. The calls are slowly trickling in. There is a plow busineaa in town that has taken a strong hold over the years so it will take some time to build a customer base i'm sure, but in the end, it is a side-business. The local competition as we have learned is using the "stop-watch" method to bill... essentially they pull up to the driveway, start a stop-watch, finish and stop it, then at the end of the season add up the total minutes and multiply by some unknown rate - this leads to most customers receiving unbelievably low bills (the $100-$200 range for an entire season!). I have talked to other plow guys in the area who say this is a ridiculous way for the industry to bill? Has anyone heard of this before??? I know we have an uphilll battle here...

As for the Air-Flo plow....all the specs for the 7.5" steel blade seem to suit the 1/2 ton (with Timbrens for support) so I sure as hell hope it works! Does anyone else have any mroe knowledge on this plow and application??

Cheers
    PPM

7. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

I pulled this from the Air-Flo website

http://www.air-flo.com/dl/QS Snowplow.pdf

The 7'6" weighs 710lbs without the mount. I would guess that the mount is probably close to 60+lbs on top of that..

It is a beefy built plow though! If you want stainless then go Snow Dogg. They make a midweight that will fit your truck.

Otherwise Western has a mid weight that they say can do light commercial. I have the western on my half ton dodge. I put timbrens on it for the extra insurance, more than it needed them.

Fisher has the SD which is a residential plow only by design. However, the fisher dealer will tell you dont drive it like you stole it and you can do light commercial with it.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sounds like you have done your homework and are getting things rolling.
    Good Luck this year

9. piperpm

piperpm Member

Well I just got the truck back from the shop and the plow is mounted and looks great... I will say the Timbrens saved us!! Without them and some new ball joints it wouldn't have happened! Down the road I might look at some beefier shocks but for now, we should be set. I double checked again and the plow is 641 lbs. We have about 500 lbs. ballast weight in the back with salt bags. The front end sagged real bad without the Timbrens but now they are installed it only drops about 0.5"-1" with the plow in the up position. All I need now is some white stuff to test it out. I will post some pictures soon.