1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Getting Started some ?'s

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jg244888, Oct 5, 2009.

1. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

just starting for my first year just woundering when someone calls you what do you say?
    when you go to see there property what do you say what do you go through? what do you talk about?
    Thanks!!!

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Usually hello, followed by whats up, then how may I assist you, then give price..

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Always be polite. Find out how they want things done, when they want it done by, ask if there are any places they don't want you to put snow. Be ready to explain how you think it would be best to do the job. Try to come across as a well intentioned kid who's looking to give them their money's worth in the work you do. Know what you want to charge for certain size accounts before you meet with the customer, that way you'll appear confident in your prices. Try to be relaxed, if your nervous it will show through.

4. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Are you kidding me?
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    You have to do your research, man.
    This entire site is pack full of everything you need.
    Samples of contracts, invoices, marketing material, pitches, pricing, how-to's.

Please don't expect a handout.

Oh, shoot. You're 16. Sorry.

You have to work on your maturity. Man up and lower that voice a little when a customer calls. Answer the phone and greet them with the name of your company or your name (Hello, jg244888 snow services...or Hello, John Smith [your name])
    Customer: Hello Mr. JG, my name is Needa Plow, I came across your ad/flyer/word-of-mouth that you do snow removal.
    You: Absolutely, Miss Plow, I am happy you called. What services might you be in need of this season?
    Customer: Well, I am not for sure, what do you offer?
    You: Blah Blah Blah

You don't necessarily need to see the property all the time.
    *Take this note: If you type an address into Google, you can most of the time be able to get a street view of the property and take a look at the house/driveway.
    You can also go to Bing.com and type the same address into that, go to their MAPS, and they have an awesome 'Birds-Eye view' option that can let you zoom in real close on the home to see the entire property.

I always like to call a customer back after I do a whitepages.com search on them or their number they called from, try to get their address, do a couple of map searches on it.
    That way, when they are telling you about the big hassle of opening their gate before plowing, or their extremly long walkway they want shoveled....you're already looking at it and can agree and say, "Well, I am actually looking at it right now!".

Good luck, kid.

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I always do my homework before I call them back too...

There is alot of things and ways to talk to ppl, your have to find your own thing...

For me it depends if we can get a feel for them and go from there..... Is this guy one you can joke around with some, or what...

Every call is never the same, and each is handle different.

If is a Local manger.... or Joe that has a foot of snow in his drive?

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Hello, Hi or any number of things depending on how well I know them.