1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just getting started (intro)

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by novawagonmaster, Jun 25, 2014.

1. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

Jon here from Ashtabula, OH. Just bought a 2000 Wrangler with the 4.0 six and a 5-speed manual trans. I bought the Jeep with the intention of plowing first, and as a fun summer cruiser second. So far, the second part is working out well.

As you can see in the pic, it came with a soft top and 1/2 doors. The day I picked up the Jeep, I picked up a hard top locally through a CL ad. Since then, I have also sourced a set of full hard doors, so I will be good to go in the Winter.

Now for the fun stuff. I ordered a 7'6" Fisher HT today. Should be ready for pickup next week. Now that Summer is in full swing, I will be taking advantage of the nice weather to mod the rig for plowing and perform some preventative maintenance. Besides installing the plow, I have a set (of 4) Gabriel air socks to install, a rear bumper to fabricate that will carry ballast, and a clutch to install. Still researching lighting at this point.

Also on my list is wheels & tires. In the interest of better tire selection, I am going to run 16" steel wheels with Bridestone Blizzak W965 tires. Just need to decide on size. I'm thinking either LT225/75R16 or LT245/75R16. The 225 is about the same height as the stock 30x9.50R15 tire. The 245 is both a little taller and a little wider. I have to be careful not to go too tall because I have an old house/garage with a short garage door opening. If that wasn't the case, I would just go with LT235/85R16 and call it done. I will probably be able to better decide on tires after the plow is mounted and I can check clearances both on the Jeep and with the garage door situation.

As for plowing plans, I am going to ease into it this year by plowing just a handful of driveways for family and neighbors. Once I get a feel for the whole process, I will decide if and when to jump in with both feet. Initially, it will just be nice not to have to run a snowblower in my own driveway for an hour every time it snows.

I would like to thank Plowmeister for openly sharing what he has learned over the years building and running his Jeeps. It has helped me (and others) in making decisions about how to build a better Jeep for plowing.

I'm sure I will have questions as I get going, and I look forward to sharing any info I learn along the way.

Here is the Jeep as I bought it:

[​IMG]

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

The Ht only weighs 414 lbs, so I wouldn't think you'd need counterweight. Although the added weight will give you more traction. Your set-up should be a very nice driveway set-up, but I wouldn't want to be doing a very large number of them or any commercial work with it. That blade just isn't made for that. But for a moderate amount of driveways I think you'll be more than adequate. There are some guys on here who work a jeep's ass off and have been doing so for years, so I'd keep watching for those jeep threads. I wish you luck, and think you're doing the smart thing by working on a limited basis your first year.

3. PlowingPreacher

PlowingPreacher Junior Member

Nice jeep. Hope all goes well for you.

4. bschurr

bschurr Member

Welcome & good luck with your plans - they seem solid. Lots of great info here!

5. novawagonmaster

I know I could get by without ballast, but I know it can't hurt to get a couple hundred pounds back there. I don't plan on going overboard with the weight. As for the plow itself, I'm sure it will be adequate to get me started. I am not opposed to trading up if I find that something heavier is needed down the road. Thanks for the well wishes and insight!

Thank you.

Thank you, and yes... I am very thankful for all of the great info on this site.

6. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Nice jeep! Before you get started being its a 00, how's the frame rust looking?

7. novawagonmaster

One small bad spot in front of left rear tire. I did know about it when I bought it, and that factored into the negotiation. Easily fixed at home with the small frame patch...
    [​IMG]

8. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

How did you pull that frame part pic without rest of vehicle?

9. novawagonmaster

The pic is of the new replacement piece that gets welded in to replace the area that is rusted out. I snagged the pic off of the website where I am purchasing the part.

10. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Ok so you do have rust. How's the rust round skid plate n cntrl arms in rear? I assume you're getting parts from autorust.com? You doin the welding?

11. novawagonmaster

Skid plate area is good. Only bad spot is left rear just ahead of the wheel. Yes, it's the autorust.com part, and it includes the lower control arm mount. Yes, I will be welding it myself.

12. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Ok sounds good. Since you know welding..have a co that's going to patch my rusted frame. Says they use mig welding n butt weld pieces after cutting old sections out. Any comments pro con on this process? Thx

13. novawagonmaster

That is exactly what I intend to do.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  14. novawagonmaster

Went and picked up the new plow yesterday. They used an overhead crane to drop it right into my trailer, and I used a cherry picker to get it out at home. Here are a couple pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. novawagonmaster

After unloading the plow, I decided to address the leaking valve cover gasket. I hate working on grimy stuff, so I spent a few extra minutes cleaning up the filthy valve cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off for the holiday, so hopefully I will find time to get some more wrenching done on the Jeep. :)

16. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Nice work! Great plow rig..how big again n how many $$? On the butt welding...think if using same 3/16" steel will be as good/strong than org? Thx n good luck this weekend!

17. novawagonmaster

Thank you. Plow is 7.5' HT. With tax, it was around $4k.

The safety and reliability of the repair depends on only one thing... the guy doing the welding.

I usually document repairs and mods with pics. I'm sure I will have some more to share this weekend, and again when I get into the frame repair.

-Jon

18. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Ok sounds good. Anything I should have my shop do/not do when patching my frame soon?

19. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Btw, you have any tricks to removing the coil rail n plugs?

20. novawagonmaster

I assume they are using the autorust.com patch as well? Have them watch the video online. Most important part (besides quality welding) is measure, measure, measure.

Pretty simple. Just remove bolts holding coil pack down, then lift coil pack up off plugs and set it down out of the way. I did not even disconnect the wiring harness from it when I replaced my plugs and boots.