1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just finished fabricating a backdrag edge for my Fisher Plow.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jimcouture, Dec 3, 2009.

1. jimcouture

jimcouture Junior Member

Just finished it finally, after months of discussion, thought and design. Any thoughts or comments are appreicated.

The design started with a 8'x6"x5/8" Fisher cutting edge. I priced out steel and hardened steel (both 1/2" and 5/8") and it was by far cheaper to buy the Fisher edge. The hinge pins are also Fisher (3/4" trip edge pins). The hinge material is 3/8" steel plate with 2 steel tabs welded to the topside of the trip edge and a single steel tab notched and welded to the baclblade edge. Everything was first ticked and checked for function. As you plow forward, the backdrag just floats along. When the plow is lowered, it sits right on the backedge. This entire setup added 105 lbs to the weight of the plow. After some time was spent to clean up the welding surfaces and the backblade, paint was sprayed.

I also have more pictures for those of you who would like them, just email me at mypistolpermit@gmail.com

DSCF2029.jpg

DSCF2030.jpg

DSCF2031.jpg

DSCF2032.jpg

DSCF2033.jpg

2. jimcouture

jimcouture Junior Member

more pics of the backblade.

DSCF2034.jpg

DSCF2036.jpg

DSCF2043.jpg

DSCF2046.jpg

DSCF2048.jpg

3. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Very nice. How many hours of fab. did it take?

4. jimcouture

jimcouture Junior Member

about 20 hrs of design with a engineer friend and 3 hours of actual fabrication. Beers certainly slow the design process down!

5. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Haha I hear that. Really looks good though.

6. jimcouture

jimcouture Junior Member

Thanks, I'm sure there will be some fine tuning needed but need snow first.

7. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Haha, don't even talk about snow...Iv'e been watching the weather channel like a hawk. NEPA hasn't gotten crap yet!

8. jimcouture

jimcouture Junior Member

hahaha........same here!

9. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Lol, Just upgraded my truck,got a new plow and spreader, and if I don't get some snow to play in soon...I think there is a chance I might just LOSE it !!!!

10. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looks good I hope it works out for you.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

very nice job! looks very well made. What did you use to cut the notches for everything....plasma cutter? torch? Also what color/brand did you use to paint your base angle after you welded on the mounting tabs for the backdrag edge...it looks great!

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't want to knock your work but the second last picture shows the back drag edge on the same angle as the front cutting edge. The idea of a back drag edge is to be in the opposite direction of the front edge. Easy solution, put on some stops so the back drag edge doesn't travel as far. Every thing else looks great.

13. serafii

serafii Senior Member

great job on the backblade for the plow. down here they come standard when u buy a fisher or western. if u dont mind wat did it cost u total to build it? down here its about $300-$400 with installation included.
    a lil advice to save u work in the futur, i would add another tab on the backblade at every hinge, because when ur backblading those hinges take alot of impact and they sometimes become flimsy and snap.

cet---all the back blades lean like that. they scrape alot better than if they were straight down. and it also serves as a bit of a safety measure with it leaning forward liek he has, because if it is leaning straight, if u move the plow a little bit theres a chance it will kick back and land on the cutting edge.

im just talking from experience not trying to be a smarta$$

i posted a picture of my plow (sold it instead of rebuilding it) this back blade had a teflon blade bolted to it because clients were complaining because of the scratches on the unistone. i dont suggest to ever put a teflon blade, i took mine off my other truck, and i refuse to ever put one on again. they dont scrape!!

plowss.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

When you put the plow down, does the back drag blade hit first? If so, aren't you stressing those 3 pins quite a bit. I think you did a great job on it, but the way it mounts looks a little weak.

15. serafii

serafii Senior Member

yah the back drag is wat hits the ground first when u drop the plow, thats why i mentioned to the OP to add another tab on each pin. one they are reinforced it should be fine we all have them like that down here,

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What he said!

How does it scrape any better if it's at the same angle as the front cutting edge?

17. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

x3:confused:

18. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

looks good, i think we should make one too, it sure would be nice for parking lots...

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you perform much backdragging in your parking lots?

20. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Well, one of our biggest clients is a investment company. They have lots of apartments, and rental houses... Our second biggest is another realestate investor, same deal, apartments, and rentals... Most of the people dont come out and mowe their cars for us...
    This year, our 09 (v-plow) will spend all day at the Crysler and Jeep plant, so no back dragging for that... But our 99 (straight blade) will be doing the apartments, small biz's, and houses.

Most of the houses have to be back dragged any way... So yes, our one truck dose lots of back dragging...