1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Curious

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chet, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Chet

Chet Junior Member

There was a pick up that went by me today with a plow on it that caught my eye. It looked like the plow was clear plastic with the words on it "SNO-MAN" that is all that i could see. Was I seeing things or not? If I was correct in seeing this, who makes these? :dizzy::dizzy: :dizzy:
  2. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Its a company called Sno-way. They make residential grade plows. Some people use them for commercial but they are really not made for it.
  3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Originally posted by QMVA
    Ya sounds like you saw a Sno-way. However Snow-way does make commercial duty plows and they seem to work quite well on smaller vehicle applications, but they make a V plow as well. Personally I just don't think they're the most reliable plow out there.
  4. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Why are they clear?
  5. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Really I must have missed the commercial plows on their site. Sorry Chet my mistake.:eek:
  6. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

7. legoconstruct

legoconstruct Junior Member

boy are you people misinformed.
    i have had a snoway since 95 on my f350 it is a 8' predator
    clear lexan blade.
    the mold board is lexan to bring the weight down .
    it is one of the most reliable plows i own.
    i am one of the biggest snow removal companys in nyc
    forget meyer or western they break down or freeze up at the sight of snow.
    i will never own one.
    my snoway broke down once. it was a solinoid.
    well thats just my opinion.
  8. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Have you ever tried the other brands:confused:

SNOWPIMP Member

A friend of mine had one and he worked at a dealer! He told me they were clear so you didn't need to run plow lights! He also said it was cool for the first week after that it hazed up and he couldn't get much light thru it! The cool thing about them is the down pressure!
  10. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

I live in Ohio, We just had 24" fall last week, I was out plowing saw a snoway in action. I must say It was a joke, a sad excuse for a plow, to all my fellow plowers do yourself a favor stay away from SNOWAY. The guy that had this thing told me it was the biggest mistake he had ever bought. Remember guys you only get what you pay for.....

SNOWPIMP Member

Re: Snoway

I am Jelouse can I come out and play I am only an hour away been watching it blow over me and go straight to you for a week straight! Or maybe truck some over to Us!
  12. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

IMO I found the snow way plow to work just fine.. Actually show me another plow that has the backdragging capabilities of that plow. There's no comparrison as far as I know to the down pressure system, it also worked great for getting hard-packed snow to work up. Now, I am a Western user, and if I ever buy another plow it will probably be Western, but at a certain point in my life, I had to use a snow-way, because that was what came with the truck I bought, and in my last point it plowed the biggest storm if my life ( Chicago, Jan, 1999, 22") Also one more quick thing, if you plow with it long enough by the light kit. Especially if you plow anything gravel, that nice clear surface gets scuffed pretty quick.:)
  13. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I personally don't know too many guys who use them because the plows are so light, they can't keep them on the ground so they have the down pressure system that helps but personally I would never buy one. My uncle had one on his 91' chevy 2500 and it just wasn;t the plow it was made to be, switched over to a Western 5 months after buying the Sno-Way.
  14. SWH Enterprises

SWH Enterprises Junior Member

:eek: I run a Sno=way Predator M/T 7'6 on my 97 Ram 1500 and absolutely love it!IN my opinion it is the most operator friendly unit on the market. And the Down Pressure, well lets just say at the 500 unit condoplex that I do I never got a call back. Now we all know thats amazing in itself!Anyway for me it is SNO-WAY or NO- WAY!!:gunsfiring:
  15. SWH Enterprises

SWH Enterprises Junior Member

I might add though that I opted for the steel blade and light kit. Hey, when you are already spending 4k, whats the difference??payup
  16. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

I have never seen or heard of a western freezing up, unless they didnt change the fluid like your suppose to do. Or check it regularly and it would be low and condensation got in, only heard of blizzard brand plows freezing up the wings get stuck in the vee position. But thats only what i have heard and know.
  17. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Well, here's MY opinion......
    Everyone around my area allready knows that Meyers are nothing but junk. Also, where in the h--- have you seen a Western break down at the sight of snow?:eek:
    The only time I've ever seen a sno-way was in a race between that and a sno-bear to the scrap yard!:D LOL
  18. ShannonS

ShannonS Member
    from IOWA

No, No Boss a race to the recycle bin cause of the clear plastic or whatever in the front of the plows. But the down pressure is good but every plow has its down falls.
  19. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

I'm not convinced that Sno-Way is the only plow with down pressure.

I have a Meyers ST-7.5 with an E-60 pump, and it puts down presser on the blade, so much in fact that it raises the front of my truck up an inch or so higher than it would be if I didn't have the plow on the truck.

I've seen the Sno-Ways, they have reinforment ribs like anyother plow, and lexan is one of the most durable materials you can get for the weight, it's what they make fighter jet canopies out of, and NASCAR windsheilds are made out of it.

I've never used one, but judging from the reinforment on the ones that I've seen, I'd say they can handle snow quite well.

Strong, Durable, Lightweight, and Efficient, sounds like a good plow to me.

The only thing better would probably be Titanium, or aircraft aluminum, with tapered plugs in the moldboard that you could knock out to allow airflow when you're not using the plow.

But how good does a snow plow have to be?

Snow isn't the most destructive force on the face of the earth, and it's not really that hard to move, if paint will stand up to it, I don't think Lexan would have any trouble.

I've operated equipment for more than 15 years, I've pushed dirt, coal, rock, hardpan clay, trash, sand, trees, and a few buildings of different construction.

Some of these things will stop a D-10 Cat in it's tracks. Snow? I can't even tell I'm pushing it.

I like pushing snow! It's easy.payup
  20. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Why run down a Meyer blade, does it make you feel good? My Meyer works for me and it makes me money, what more does a person want.