1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Curious, seeking opinions

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by DHDB, Dec 21, 2008.

1. DHDB

DHDB Member

I saw the post about strobes and the law ...etc. I realize I DO NOT have the right-of-way when clearing private properties and backing into a street. I will wait for an opening in traffic. My problem is the &*^% idiot with his plow (no lights on!) backing into a major roadway bec. he doesn't want to wait anymore. I almost hit this idiot bec. nobody saw him. Everyone I seem to have met here appears as a professional. I was just curious how many of these "un-professional" idiots people have run into out there?

If you just went out a plowed a whole storm, pay $200 and buy a decent light you cheap f*&k!

Sorry, just venting! Curious to anyones input?

2. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

I agree with you DHDB. I never pull out in front of traffic. If I have to wait, I have to wait to get out and when that is the case I usually take that time to have a couple sips of my nice hot cup of coffee or put some visine into my dry eyes.

As for the lighting I am about to retire my ancient amber pancake rotator and upgrade to a much brighter Whelen Mini-justice LED lightbar. It is my Christmas present to myself but more important it will give me 10 times the amount of light as the rotator does now all the while using much less of a draw on my battery. I have guys around me here in Ohio that are like that, some do not have a light and some have a light but don't use them or they buy the cheapest type of light that cannot pierce through a heavy snow. In about a week I will no longer have to worry about that because I got the king of all minibars and I will definately be seen. :)

3. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I can't believe your actually using one of those pancake lights! As for rotator lights those were one of the worse ever made or thought of.

Great Choice moving to the the Whelen Mini-Justice LED... You'll really be seen now!

As for those idiots backing on the roads... I agree that they're idiots even when they have their lights on it doesn't give them the right away. It's a protection device so you don't get hit or makes less of a chance for it.

I really hate a couple idiots around me that when they plow a drive they push the snow out on the roadway and leave it. No chance of them cleaning up the mess they just leave it.

Oh well...Just my 2 cents worth. Have a safe one!

4. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

Yes !!!! I am ashamed to admit it. I have been using one of those cheap rotator lights on my new 2008 F-350 Super-Duty. :( But the good news is next week I will have a lightbar that is worthy of being put on top of my new truck !!! :)

5. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Well atleast your not going to be the laughing stock of your area and be the envy of all of them!

IDEA!!! Put the pancake on your snowblower! or you can put it on your lawnmower or ATV...

6. jerry b.

jerry b. Member

I cannot wait till that Mini-Justice comes in. First thing I'm gonna do is take it out to my truck and plug it in and find a real cool flash pattern. Heck, I just might go through all 95 of them before I pick one !!! :D

7. DHDB

DHDB Member

Just saw my own post and all i can say is: DAMN I WAS TIRED LAST NIGHT AND BARELY MAKE SENSE!
    I was just curious what other guys have done when running into idiots like this. I really wish i could have stopped and said something to the moron but...

A couple of years ago, i almost backed out of my driveway and into a large town truck going by. All he had up on top was a little rotator. My cell phone gives off more light. I usually just used my hazard lights, but i didn't have them on at the time (doing my own driveway). Since then... LIGHT IT UP! The more the better. Blind'em eventually they will have to stop!

Just curious if anyone had any stories (funny, bad luck, etc...) from the weekend in the NE?

8. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

They are all over, and usually they are the ones driving the beat to sh!t trucks with different colored body panels and spotlights for plow lights. They don't care if/who they hit because their vehicle isn't worth anything. Your best bet is defensive driving, as my mother always told me "I'm not worried about your driving, i'm worried about the other idiots on the road" :)

9. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I love my lightbar. I like it when I come home at night and the place is dark, flip on an alley light, go unlock and turn some lights on and go back to the truck and shut it off. It is so handy. Also useful for house numbers when you get a call. I love it.

10. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i had a few of these idiots come out in front of me and the town guy when we were plowing the roads on which we do have right of way with our lights on as well. we beeped at them and they would just fly out anyways. really aggrevating but we made sure to dump our piles in front of the drive they had just finished to thank them for being morons.

11. DHDB

DHDB Member

Well done Kyle! I guess we'll just have to remember the addresses and deliver a little "Snow-pile Justice"! Or is that lowering yourself to their level (unproffes.)?

12. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i had no choice since i plow the street it was going in there anyways i just cmae in allite furhter before the drive is all lol
    it did get annoying after the same guy did it about 4 times or so i was like ok thats enough and the town guy almost took him out the last time( he was leading on that pass)

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking of making a similar post. After almost hittting an A$$$ that back out of a drive and I never saw him til i was 3 feet from him. Fkfkf scrubs should not be plowing with out warning lights on. I really wanted to get out and pound him. I just let it go. I think next time Im gona aim for the guy seriously maybe get a new plow out of the deal.But then u get the other extreme of dopes going down the road With white srobes going and there not plowing for city or state there is no need for the white strobes unless ur plowing.

14. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Sometime I'll use my lights if I'm on the side of the road with the snow-blower or something like that, but otherwise they stay off.

15. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

There is nothing wrong with that Imo. I just dont see drving around with them on for no reason at all.

16. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

chicks dig it

17. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

hahaha now i get it!