Snow Plowing Forum banner

Just Curious Manual trans

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  g.moore 
#1 ·
Anybody plow with a manual transmission?

#2 ·
I do 76 driveways 1 Jeep

#3 ·
I had a 93 F250 manual with a 7.3 disel in it and a very heavy clutch plowed for two day straight and my knee was big as a water melon know i use autos. But you can do it and the power you will have will be awsome. I was doing large lots with a lot of shifting.prsport

#7 ·
My F350 is a standard and I plan to plow with it this winter.

Like farrell, I'm just doing my driveway.. or a few neighbors..

Hell, I may even like it....

I gotta make up a sign for the truck....

Will plow for BEER ! :drinkup:

#10 ·
A few years ago, I had a 85 f-150 with a t-18 4 speed, it plowed just fine, I found that the hot setup was to mount the twin toggle meyers plow controls on the transmission shifter just below the gearshift knob, that way I could shift from first to reverse and operate plow without taking my hand off of steering wheel. The only drawback to the manual was a very slow reverse gear when I had to back across a lot, and when I would occasionaly get hung on a pile that I was stacking, it was much harder to get unstuck due to a lack of wheelspeed in reverse, even when using power angle to "push me off".:dizzy: :dizzy:

#11 ·
Just put a new clutch in my 64 IH 1200, they shimmed up the pressure plate springs a bit and refaced the disc with Kevlar. There is maybe an aditional 2lbs of pedal pressure but the Kevlar is great, that thing grabs. I am having them do one up for my Ram too. I just can't get used to an auto equipped truck stopping with the engine still running and not going anywhere, I am the guy who will stand on the pedal until either the truck moves, the engine dies or the auto blow up. All 8 of my trucks are standards, I won't own an automatic for anything. You get used to shifting, the 64 is a 4spd unsynced so you just slip the gears and double clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.