1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Curious Manual trans

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by LST-HWY, Dec 7, 2006.

1. LST-HWY

LST-HWY Junior Member

Anybody plow with a manual transmission?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I do 76 driveways 1 Jeep
  3. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

I had a 93 F250 manual with a 7.3 disel in it and a very heavy clutch plowed for two day straight and my knee was big as a water melon know i use autos. But you can do it and the power you will have will be awsome. I was doing large lots with a lot of shifting.prsport
  4. gpfarrell

gpfarrell Junior Member

Yeah, no biggie.

I'm just doing my own driveway though... might feel different if I was running all night.

This might be one of the most discussed topics on here... if you "search" it the snow will melt before you read everything!

5. go plow

go plow Senior Member

I Plow With A 6 Speed F-350
    You Cant Beat The Power It Has!
  6. zimmm

zimmm Junior Member

learned to plow with a 57 1 ton Chevy Napco Conversion w/ 4 speed - still in use by my dad

now plow with a 77 F250 4 speed

manual tranny comes in real handy when using motor driven hydraulics
  7. John T

John T Member

My F350 is a standard and I plan to plow with it this winter.

Like farrell, I'm just doing my driveway.. or a few neighbors..

Hell, I may even like it....

I gotta make up a sign for the truck....

Will plow for BEER ! :drinkup:
  8. starc

starc Senior Member

I've cooked a few automatics years ago, would never use anything but a standard transmission ever again. Heavy clutches aren't needed, factory clutch is fine...
  9. addicted

addicted Senior Member

no problems here. used 3 stick jeeps so far.
  10. Ryan03

Ryan03 Junior Member

A few years ago, I had a 85 f-150 with a t-18 4 speed, it plowed just fine, I found that the hot setup was to mount the twin toggle meyers plow controls on the transmission shifter just below the gearshift knob, that way I could shift from first to reverse and operate plow without taking my hand off of steering wheel. The only drawback to the manual was a very slow reverse gear when I had to back across a lot, and when I would occasionaly get hung on a pile that I was stacking, it was much harder to get unstuck due to a lack of wheelspeed in reverse, even when using power angle to "push me off".:dizzy: :dizzy:
  11. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Just put a new clutch in my 64 IH 1200, they shimmed up the pressure plate springs a bit and refaced the disc with Kevlar. There is maybe an aditional 2lbs of pedal pressure but the Kevlar is great, that thing grabs. I am having them do one up for my Ram too. I just can't get used to an auto equipped truck stopping with the engine still running and not going anywhere, I am the guy who will stand on the pedal until either the truck moves, the engine dies or the auto blow up. All 8 of my trucks are standards, I won't own an automatic for anything. You get used to shifting, the 64 is a 4spd unsynced so you just slip the gears and double clutch.