1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just curious about time limit on bulk salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Monroe74, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Monroe74

Monroe74 Junior Member

Once you have bulk salt in a v box or other dump tailgate spreader approximately how long do you have till you have a problem spreading? For example you have 1 account it takes you two hours to plow complete can you still spread salt with out a problem? either with the salt covered or exposed? I'm really trying to get a grasp of bulk salt before I take the plunge. any problems or experience would help.
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

my salter gets filled up between 3:00 pm and 4:00 pm and sits till i go plow. Usually get done about noon havent had a problem yet. the load i have in the hopper right now i got at about 9:30 this morning by the time its empty it will have been in there about 24 hours.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It depends on how wet the salt is, how cold it is and how much snow has fallen on the salt while it's been in the spreader. The colder it is the more problems you will have. You learn by experience and anything under 6 hours is generally fine, even if it snows 6" on top of it. If it's wet at all make sure you don't leave it in there for the next night or you will have problems. I leave salt in mine but I park in a heated shop. Just use common sense and you will be fine, it's not rocket science!!