1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Checking

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Krafty17, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

Wanted to throw this up and see what you guys think. I always think it is good to keep myself in check. This lot we would be running a 1 ton truck with 9' plow and a skid with 10' phusher. I figured for 3 hours plow time and about 2 ton of salt. Let me know your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds close enough to me.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

wait, are we doing the 169,000 square foot in red or the 30,000 in blue or both?

and is the 3 hours for both total or 3 hours each?

4. Krafty17

Krafty17 Member

I was thinking 3 hours for the skid and 3 hours for the truck to get both lots cleared not including salt time.

5. LoneCowboy

1-6" of snow
    the little one (blue) should take about 1/2 hour to plow
    the big one (red) should take about 2.5 hours to plow

3 hours total
    one truck.

6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Your right on with the time. I think it would actually go a little bit quicker than that, but you'd have a few things that would slow you down at different times (traffic during the day, etc)

7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

wow...you guys thine ONE truck can push six inches of snow off that lot in a matter according to business practices in 3 hours?

my lord.

8. LoneCowboy

yep

it's 3 acres
    (a little over).
    I've found 1.5 acres/hour, but even everyone agrees a good number is 1 acre/hour and I've found little difference from 0 to 6" or so. (over that it can slow you down some)
    it's pretty straightforward lot, not lots of little islands and not huge runs lots of places to stack and easy long windrows in the back and not tons of backdragging either.
    I don't see the problem.

I don't see where you are getting 6 hours.

I see 1/2 hour to do the little blue building
    1/2 hour to do behind the big red building (bottom of the picture)
    1.5 hours to do the bigger lot in front of the red building
    1/2 hour to spare.

I would bid those combined lots right around 3 hours, if you're bidding it at 6, guess who's going to get it? You're not even going to be close. I'm not going to be the only one.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010