1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just changed my cutting edge on my plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bmcbjc2, Feb 1, 2015.

1. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

I just switched out my cutting edge on my western pro plus plow.Ive noticed the corners are starting to round off.Can I correct this and how would I go about doing it?Thanks guys!!!!

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

How thick is the new edge?

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's normal.

i prefer the corners to be rounded off.

your plow edge sounds like it is broken in.
    they usually work better at this stage and the round corner no longer scratches up the curbing.

if it ad curb gurds the corners would really be rounded off.

4. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

I'm not sure on the thickness.I bought it from the western dealer. Just seems like it shouldn't do this but maybe I'm wrong?

5. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

Guessing its probably 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure your a-frame is level when the plow is down. If the truck side is too high it will wear the corners first. This really shouldn't be the problem as your old edge would have been even worse.

7. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

check aframe plow is not sitting level on angle.

8. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

The old edge was doing the same thing.Ok I'll look into the frame.

9. Teflondon

Teflondon Junior Member

My cutting edge is doing the same thing on my x- blade checked the a frame and it's about 2" too high. Going to have some new tabs welded on to drop it a bit.

10. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

I had the western dealer or installer look at my plow and said nothing about the A frame being uneven and said the corners wearing like that is normal. I don't feel that's right but when he is telling me that I don't know what else to do?

11. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Well .... you could build it back up with some JB Weld....

:mechanic: :dizzy:

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

If you windrow a lot the edge wear is normal. A lot of guys double up the ends of the cutting edge to help slow down the wear.

13. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

jb is pretty handy :)

14. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

I bought a set of wings or extensions to help move more snow.Meaning im hoping to use the plow at less of an angle. Hoping this would slow down the uneven wear.Ive only used the plow two times with the new edge and its already noticeable

15. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

When you angle,the edge wears the ends down,just a fact of life. As far as angle of the blade, I would make sure its level as it can cause wear on the ends. If your buying a less than 1/2"
    thick edge it will wear quick. Make sure the edge you buy is hardened steel,ive seen some that were not.

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Having a push beam height that is not at the correct height can cause uneven
    Wear on the edge

It looks like Your going to need to measure it,s height yourself.

Ever swing the plow when it is all the way up ,notice one corner comes up the other goes down?

This havens when your lower it also.

You need to find the correct height, the sweet spot

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Get yourself a hand file, and start filing away!

18. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

The dealer sold me a western edge. I told them what I had and that's what they supplied me.He did say just by looking at it that it looked about right.Ill stick a level on it.Doesnt look like it ccan be off by much And ill pass on the hand filing bud:)

19. 9.5hinvee

9.5hinvee Junior Member
    from Mn

]I just happend to have a old set of hiniker curb guards laying in my shop when i had my western pulled in... ended up using the one bolt that matched up, and welding the curb guard so it can move/rotate.... should eliminate the smily face action, the damage to the plow mould board due to cutting curbs, and dramatically increase my edge life as the curb guard doubles the thickness at each end, and also has carbide wear pads.... just happend the old ones matched up almost perfectly with the amount my western blade was worn... would think it might be possible to put these on new curb guards with a new edge... also was suggested to use a 8' hiniker edge, and re drill holes in western if needed/if it would work...
    :mechanic:
    10959475_10100403863083790_2939772737909014726_n.jpg

10959475_10100403863083790_2939772737909014726_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  20. bmcbjc2

bmcbjc2 Junior Member

thanks for the info!!!