1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just can't get traction!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fps, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Fps

Fps Junior Member

Just finished up 4 days of the “Jersey Blizzard”. The problem: since it’s impossible to get all the accounts done in one day, the weather warms up and we are left with 20” of wet snow “WITH” the bottom iced because the ground never cooled down for the winter. Even when careful, you end up with the truck riding up onto the snow “just a little at a time”, and then you’re spinning your wheels with the bottom surface ice and too much snow under the frame. We try to push side to side, but eventually you must push forward. What do you do??? Chains?………..Super Mud tires?……….. Taller lift kit?...........Just take it much slower side to side?????
    Thanks,
    Pee

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

A lot of weight in the back, studded tires, tires in good condition, and chains if necessary.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Go ahead and try mud tires

Weight and skinny tires.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Go'en get the tallest lift you can.
    As everyone knows a lift will increase your traction.

Then find some supper mud flotation tires as they just dig threw the hard pack and ice.

or try ,studs, chains, weight.

next, what tires and truck/ set up are you using now?
    open diffs, locker, posi, limited slip?

5. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Yeah. What truck and what tires?

I've been running Hankooks in My GMC 2500 for years and they stick like mud.

6. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like chains might be your best option

7. Fps

Fps Junior Member

More info

Thanks guy's. Here's a bit more info. It's 2013 sierra, but with 2500 suspension, 2" lift in the front, 100 psi in rear air bags, 1,000 lbs. of rock in bed and 500 lb. back plow on the rear. However, using the stock 17" all terrain tires. The tires are 285's. Could they just be too wide without enough "bite" in them????

Pete

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  8. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I'd say the all terrain tires are your biggest problem, since you seem to have more than enough weight. Get some dedicated snows - studs too if possible - and you should see a big improvement.

Tires I had on my first plow were all seasons - slid all over the place. Get some emergency strap on chains too - they work great and you can store them under your seat.

9. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Skinny SNOW tires ......

10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Also - my tires are 18" 275s, so you should be fine with the 285s if you want them.

11. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Firestone winterforce tires, studded.

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

But remember, you're only supposed to stud tires when brand new, and haven't been driven on already.

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

The problem is taking 3 days to hit a site. Yes it was a big storm but thats why we visited each site 4+ times during the storm. Yes the drifts would cause some problems but if we never hit them until after storm then there would have been 4' on them

14. Fps

Fps Junior Member

You’re not wrong. However, where do you (did you) find the manpower to increase your work output by 600% (six times), when every plower was swamped??? If you are large enough and can keep guy’s on the payroll, or available to work at a moments notice, that would work. BUT, what about us regular guys??? Again, I appreciate the info AND this could really be a separate and "worthwhile" new thread.
    Pete