1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just can't decide between 7.5' or 8' plow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ybnorml, Oct 11, 2004.

1. ybnorml

ybnorml Member

I know this has been brought up many times but I still can't make a decision. This is my first year plowing and will most likely be looking at residential and some commercial. Some people I've talked to recommend the 7.5' and some say just get it over with and buy an 8'. Is there really a big difference when plowing? Does the 8' feel a little big plowing residential driveway's? Any experienced info would be greatly appreciated. It's a big purchase that I want to get right........

Thanks,

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know what you have for a truck but if its 250 or up then i would say get the 8' if you are doing any commercial at all. Its only a 4" difference between 7'6" and 8" so it would not be too big in driveways. 8'5" and up is a different story. Overall 8' is a perfect mid point for commercial and residential.

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

that extra 6" will help if you have to do turns it will prevent you from running over as much snow. just go with the 8' so later you wont be pissed that you didnt.

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I would go for the 8'.
    You will wish you had it in a couple of months.
    It's only 3 more inches on each side.
    But 3 inches can make a huge difference when you are plowing up along buildings and garages. (at 7.5' you might have to fold in your mirrors)
    Get the 8 and if you get commercial jobs think about getting some wings.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

What truck are you putting it on and what brand of plow are you considering? It can make a big difference in the amount of load you're carrying and the ability of the truck to carry that load. Check each plow manufacture's site for weight of each; then check to the FGVR minus the truck front end weight.

Or - ask the plow dealer what to put on your truck.

As a general rule:
    1/2 ton/1500 - 7.5' (some will allow an 8' of some brands)
    3/4 ton/2500 - 8' - 8.5'
    1 ton/3500 DRW - 9'

6. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

GO WITH THE 8 FOOTER YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED

you are asking the right people,the plow dealers and auto dealers know NOTHING when it comes to plow selection, I cannot tell you how many times i have seen a truck with too small of a plow installed( a 1 ton dual wheel with a 7.5)

7. ybnorml

ybnorml Member

Thanks guys for the quick feedback. I do really appreciate it. I should have stated that my truck is a 1996 Ford F-250. It sounds like there really aren't any advantages for the 7'6" over the 8'??? At first I was concerned with the weight until I found out there is only a 20# difference. Which I don't think is a concern, really.

This is great, thanks again for the replies!!!!! :)

8. zack136

zack136 Junior Member
    from N.Y.

Sorry to jump in your post but my question might add to it.
    I have a dodge (2004 3/4) and am looking at the same, residential & commercial. I'm looking at the 8' 6" Fisher V. What is your thoughts on this plow for these same applications ?

9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The 8 and 8.6 should be fine but keep in mind that wider is not always better. If you have tight places or drive throughs, a wider plow will sometimes not fit and that means having to get out and shovel.

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The 8'6" can be a lil big in tight drives and you may have to go scoop mode to get threw tight spots, I only encountered one drive with 8'6" v I was not able to push. Now an 8'6" straight blade could be a royal pain in the arse in some spots. Oh ya dont forget the v blade wont back drag as well as a straight blade either. Especially the Boss v with non double acting cylinders. Its an option for the doubles. Residentials usually require alot of back dragin.
    Todd

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You must not be looking at a Fisher, then. 47# difference from the 7.6'LD and 7.6RD; 87# difference from 7.6'RD to 8'HD.

I'd agree, get the 8' for that 2500.

12. ybnorml

ybnorml Member

Say just for instance if all of my work was residential, would you still rule out the 7.5' and go for the 8'? From all of the replies, it looks like my mind is made up, I just want to get all of the .02 I can with my purchase.

Thanks

1996 Ford F-250 Standard Cab Long Box.
    Gas V8, 8600 GVW.

13. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I'd have to agree with the above posts, but here's another thought. One of my trucks has a 7.5' blade with pro-wings, making it a 9.5' blade. It was too big to do the 40+ residentials last year, but great for my commercial accounts. I wasn't about to get in and out of the truck, so the wings stayed on. Unless I'm subbing out a truck, it WILL have wings on it. I think the wings saved alot of time on both small and big jobs. I think the blade was just legal width when angled, but an 8 footer with wings would be too wide to be legal.

14. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

My 7.6 is plenty wide enough for me. :nod: The only time I would be concerned about getting a wider plow was if I had a dually. :waving:

15. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I like the 7 1/2' I have. It is a little narrow when I have to get close to some buildings, I just fold in the drivers mirror quickly, keep on pushing. I would like to have a 8' or 8 1/2', saving my money for a V or a Blizzard! If I had it to do all over again I would start out with a 8'. To each is his own. pumpkin: BOAST