1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought used Fisher 8' MM

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by countrydoc, Aug 21, 2007.

1. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Hey all,

I just bought a used fisher 8' mm. It came attached to a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD that I bought. The plow looks young and from the records I have found it seems to have been put on the truck sometime in the last 1-2 years.

It seems to be in very good condition with only minor surface rust on the blade and no rust or rot on the hydrolic lines and pistons. The mounting bolts look much cleaner than I would expect for a used plow. The plugs look very clean.

Question is: what kind of routine maintenance should I do before winter comes? I don't want to discover this plow's weaknesses at 10pm on the night of our first storm when I have to be to work at 6:30 am the next day. Forgot to mention, it is for personal use on a 200' driveway and short private gravel road, maybe 1/4 mile at the most.

I have noticed some comments on here that seem to indicate that experienced Fisher users have been disappointed since Fisher went to their minute mount design. What is that all about?

One more question, for those of you up here in Maine/NH: where do I go to get good reliable and honest service on this plow? I live in western Maine, not too far from the NH border. I thought I saw some postings from a Fisher rep who is in Rockland, Maine.

Thanks

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I've run conventional Fishers, MM1, & MM2 with no complaints for any of 'em. In fact, I've enjoyed the cleaner profile of the Minute Mounts along with the faster mounting. I don't know if some of the first MM's were kinda loose, or that the hydraulic quick connects outside (for underhood hydraulics) smeared fluid down the front of trucks.

A lot of guys will use this fluid film to protect outside surfaces. Also, check the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir (better yet, drain & replace it!). Lubricate pivot points on pistons & plow. I have liked keeping mine inside, though it hasn't been possible for a couple years since I pulled my stuff out of storage. I don't know if there's any merit to that theory, as some leave theirs in the bushes for 8 months.

Concord might be a drive for you, but I use EW Sleeper. A buddy of mine went to a place in Lee (much closer to Maine) though I can't remember the name. Rockland as you might know if Fisher's home. If it's closer, I'm sure they can help (and I'm sure there are more Fisher distributors in ME than NH). Good luck -- you're going to enjoy this plow!

~Kevin

3. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Concord might be a drive for you, but I use EW Sleeper. A buddy of mine went to a place in Lee (much closer to Maine) though I can't remember the name. Rockland as you might know if Fisher's home. If it's closer, I'm sure they can help (and I'm sure there are more Fisher distributors in ME than NH). Good luck -- you're going to enjoy this plow!

~Kevin[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the good info. I actually did not know that Fisher's home is in Rockland (been in Maine 14 years now, you'd think I might have realized that) but that sure explains why Fisher plows are so popular in these parts.

4. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Found one; Diesel Works in Center Conway, NH. That is probably the closest authorized Fisher rep from where I live.

Anyone have any experience with them?

5. YardMedic

I've seen them at trade shows with Fishers set up. Appears as though they've done good work

6. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Thanks.

Will be taking the plow over to them when I get the truck back. Seems that it had a few items that failed to pass state inspection, so the truck is back in the dealers shop until they can fix the exhaust manifold leak, get the brake rotors up to inspection standards, and make all 4 tires meet inspection standards. I have a few other posts about that little adventure elsewhere on this site.

Anyway, one more question about the cutting blade. It is covered with surface rust but appears to be solid, although the edge is dull. Does that matter for non-commercial plowing of driveway and private gravel road?

I only ask here first because I suspect that any Fisher rep who needs to put food on his family's table will tell me that the cutting edge needs to be replaced. I respect a man's need to support his family, but I also respect how that incentive often leads an honest person to recommend things that aren't really necessary.

7. YardMedic

Surface rust should be no problem. I usually prime & paint the cutting edge along with the plow, but it's probably not critical.

As for replacing the cutting edge, if it's a bolted on piece of 1/2" steel attached to the bottom trip edge, it should be good until about the time you've worn down to the actual trip edge & bottom of the plow shoe holes. The cutting edge shouldn't be more than about $100 to replace, and for doing just what you're describing you may never have to replace it. Plowing 40 driveways & a few commercials, the edges wear down in a few years.