1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought my first plow!!!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by stonylake rxp, Jan 4, 2008.

1. stonylake rxp

stonylake rxp Junior Member

I just purchased my first plow and I love it. It's a Boss 7'6" Ploy straight blade and was owned by a guy I woked with. He bought it new in 2001 and used it for 2 winters when he was living in Sudbury, it has been in his garage since then as he has moved south to the city where a snowblower will do. Many people have told me that the Boss plow is the best you can buy, hope this is true! Plow is super fast and the hand controller is great, didn't take long to get the hang of it. Wish it would snow everyday!!!
    Anyways I have a few of questions to ask, first is regarding the dampening shock offered by Boss, are they worth adding to the plow to dampen the return and tripping of the plow when it folds over? Second is regarding the rubber snow deflectors, are they worth installing? Third is the 4th spring that the 7'6" blade doesn't have, should I be installing it as well?
    FYI ..The plow is monted on a 1994 Dodge 2500 Diesel, 458,000kms and purrin like a kitten!!!
    This site is awesome, seems like a lot of really nice and knowledgable guys on this site.

This is my first post....it's good to be here:

2. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

Congrats and welcome to plowsite

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

To answer your questions - It really depends on what you'll be using the plow for. If just your own driveway and maybe a couple of others (which is what a lot of guy say), then don't worry about doing or getting anything for the plow. You can learn to plow your driveway so there won't be that much or very many shocks. I don't think you CAN put a fourth trip spring on a 7.5' - you'll usually find four trip springs on commercial plows or 8'ers. As for the rubber deflector, only if you do many private roads or long runs. I do private roads without a deflector and do just fine; mainly because I can't go very fast due to the curves and narrowness of them. Basically, don't worry about any add-ons until you find a need for them.

As for being the best, that's pretty much a matter of opinion. You'll find everyone thinks what they have is the best. To me, the best is the brand sitting on your truck and paid for.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Mick pretty much summed it up there. Good luck and welcome to plowsite.

5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Congrats and welcome. Do you have any pictures of the plow?

6. 2500Hemi

2500Hemi Junior Member

I would get the shock absorber

Hello, I have a Super Duty on my 2500 gas job. It has 4 springs and a shock absorber. I feel as though you should at least have the shock absorber because you can really feel it work. With having a 3/4 ton I think you should probably have the extra spring also. just an opinion.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

He has a 7.5'. The Super Duty is a commercial 8' plow so apparently not what he has.

8. stonylake rxp

stonylake rxp Junior Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to get the shock for sure. A lot of what I plow is gravel roads with plenty of large rocks that stick out ( several inches in a lot of spots ) so the plow always grabs on them even with shoes on the plow. Once we get a good base I should be ok, but I just cringe every time it snaps back.

I'll get some pictures posted in the next couple of days.

Stonylake rxp

9. 2500Hemi

2500Hemi Junior Member

Sorry to upset you, but I never said that is what he had?? I simply stated what I had because it has the shock absorber and the extra spring (over his model) and I think they work well. Also my plow is 7'6'' not 8' .