1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought my first Boss!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Medicjdl, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

Hey guys I just bought a 8'2" V-plow. Looks new only been used about 20 times or so. It's a 2007 model. Is there anything I should look for or do this summer to it. It works GREAT and the edge looks new. I have to say I like the lighting system better on this one than on a new one. My local Boss dealer told me the same. Thanks Guys O I have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD pickup I'm plowing with.

Plow1.JPG

plow2.JPG

plow3.JPG

plow4.JPG

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Looks nice. Throw a snow shield on there and you're all set to go.

When you're ready to replace the cutting edges I suggest going with the new style which will eliminate the rubber snow-catcher.

Good luck this winter.

3. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

O and I see allot of people talking about this "SMART LOCK" what is it? And can you tell if I have it?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Looks nice. I have heard pretty good things about them. It's just that stupid name that kills me.

THE BOSS

If you say so

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Boss V plows don't come with locking cylinders as a standard feature (probably the worst thing about their plows in my opinion). However, you can buy locking cylinders as an option and judging from the pictures you posted you do not have them.

There would be a sticker on each of the cylinders saying "Smart Lock".

If you do a lot of back-dragging you are going to want them but if you don't do a lot of it then you'll be fine.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Does it have down pressure? :rolleyes::D

7. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

I don't think Boss plows have down pressure.... I believe only the junk snoway plows have them. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Please don't open that can of worms again.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Another satisfied Boss owner!:salute:

10. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

If you need smart locks give us a call 877-361-2227...in stock and ready to ship

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No ALL the Snoway plows have Down Pressure.:cool:

12. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Get yourself some grease on those wing spring pivots. :nod:

14. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

You are right B&B, I will just as soon at it stops raining here in Rhode Island. It rained 24 out of 30 days this month.... Ready for SUN!

15. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I would replace the springs and keep those as spares. Keep everything greased and buy a snow deflector. You can get away with out the smarties, but if you have the extra money I say BUY them.

16. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

Why do you say get rid of those springs? They look ok, just greased them and it's nice and quite.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Quality SR has probably had a return spring break. They do that sometimes, so it is one of the things experanced Boss users "worry" about. The idea is not to break down and if you do have the stuff to get back in business quickly. In the snowplow business it pays to run your front line stuff and hang on to the "used" parts for spares.

18. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I've never had a spring break on me but I've also heard of people breaking several of them throughout the course of a season.

Just make sure you've got one on hand as a spare and you'll be okay.

19. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

Thanks guys I'll make sure I get new ones then.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Or if the unit has seen little use, just get one for back up and make sure the nuts are free for easy removal in the field. You can examine the wearpoints for a idea of how much operational time the unit has seen.