1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought my first blower!!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Eddiej, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Eddiej

Eddiej Member
    from UK

If you don't mind buying Chinese rubbish, snowblowers are not the most common piece of kit over here in the UK, and after being told by Ariens that its going to be 5 months before they can get me one, I thought that I had better get something sorted a bit quick.

The result is not one, but two of these Rolba 80's snowblowers.

They are way over the top for my needs, and may even be the biggest walk behind in the UK!

They are powered by a flat twin 690cc BMW petrol engine, weigh approx 500KG, have a clearing width of approx 34" and subject to snow conditions, can shoot snow up to 100'

They both need new exhaust, batteries and for piece of mind, control cables. But both machines have done next to no work and show no signs of wear. Once I've fully serviced, cleaned and sorted them, they should be as good as new again. I'll probably ultimately sell one of them on. But who knows!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Those are ginormous! I would love to see them in action, get some video when you get them "Sorted out". :D
  3. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

blinkers?? people dont even use their car blinkers (I HATE THAT!)
    haha doesnt do good in 1-3 inches i bet!
  4. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

you might not win the biggest blower contest but you certainly in the running for the uglyiest.
  5. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

sweet. those things should work good. we've got an old portable pump at the firehall that's got the same engine...... a little hard to start a times, but she's a beast. no worries about power there
  6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Thats pretty insane. Ive never seen anything like that. Did you know if the UK that you need a special license to use that?
  7. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Holy crap between worker's comp. ins. & OSHA I don't know we could even look at that thing here in the U.S. The big open augur looks scary:eek:. Good luck with it. Need to post some video of it working after you bring it up to good operating condition.
  8. Eddiej

Eddiej Member
    from UK

Brilliant, I think that you have just come up with a name the blower!:D

In truth, just moving it yesterday scared the crap out of me, and when I reversed it, I suddenly thought that this thing could very easily pin you against a wall and that would be game over.

I'm slowly managing to find little bits of info on these blowers on net, but there is very little!

I'm left with more questions than answers! Really at the end of the day, this going to prove more of a novelty value piece of kit that a pratical one, but hey, I'm always up for challenge and love the unusual!!!

Here is the only picture that I can find of one being used. Its still not in deep snow, and the guy is only using the lower shoot section, not the main one.

This is the only other one that I have found.

9. z400

z400 Member

You have got a pair of MONSTRS right there!
  10. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Its a snowblower that doubles as a wood chipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy: Im thinking it can take up to a 6" diameter tree!wesport:laughing:
  11. Eddiej

Eddiej Member
    from UK

Both machines were originally used at a main commercial airport, as the data tag shows.

And yep, that auger is scary looking!:D

Almost forgot, I love the wooden handles! Whats that all about!!!:D
  12. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

that thing is brutal. i'd love to have one lol
  13. Eddiej

Eddiej Member
    from UK

They are definitely wasted in this country, and probably banned in every other!:D

I'm trying to work out what the drop pins are for at the front end. There is one fitted to both sides. I had thought transport wheels, but have no idea. There is also a step fitted to the side of the shoot on hooks. I can't work out where that clips on either.:confused:
  14. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

That thing otta get through about any pile that the city leaves!
  15. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Could you please post a front picture of the auger? Thanks......
  16. TGM

TGM Senior Member

WOW that thing's crazy!
  17. Eddiej

Eddiej Member
    from UK

Here you go, and sorry about the quality of the photos.

The main auger is 24" in diameter and the blades have a slightly serrated cutting edge.

And in this one, you can just about see the 2nd stage impeller, which is 16" in diameter!:eek:

18. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

With that big of an auger I thought the blower housing would be a tad bigger. And it only has 3 paddles. Its a mean looking machine. Thanks...
  19. fordf350super

fordf350super Junior Member

how much did you pay for it?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Wood handles probably aren't as cold as metal ones