1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought an '03 Ram diesel, and it broke down. Please help if you know your diesel

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lawntec, Nov 29, 2007.

1. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

I am noobie to diesels. It went down to -25C last night. I had the truck in an in heated quanset. It started fine, i ran it for 20 mins, i travelled 5km down the back road, turned onto the highway and made it about 2 mins.........before:
    It felt like i was out of fuel, it stuttered for about 7 seconds then it quit while i was still going 80kmh. I came to a stop, then i restarted it. It turned over one more time then normal, then started and died 3 seconds later. I did this about five times. I cought a ride to town and bough some fuel conditioner, put it in but now it won't fire at all.

Can anybody point me in a direction? Or tell me what I should be checking first. Thank you very much.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

how about the fule jelled on the way from the tank to the motor
  3. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

that was my first thought also, that is why i put the conditioner in. So, if that is the case I have to heat the entire truck up...right? Because, i put a propane heater under the engine for about 3 hours and that did not help at all.
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I didn't even read your entire post but your problem is due to fuel gelling. Most likely your fuel filter is where the problem lies.

If you know how to change it go ahead and put a new one on and add some Power Service 911 to your fuel system. Add some directly into the canister that holds your filter and then put some into your tank.

Just make sure you read the directions and follow them exactly as explained on the bottle.

If you can't locate your filter let me know and I'll snap a pic of mine and post it so you can figure it out.

Turn your key on and off a couple times before finally firing it up. You should be ready to roll.
  5. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

Thanks for your help Camden. I will do this first thing tomorow. So, once fuel has gelled...does it stay gelled? or will it liquify when heated?
  6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The Power Service you add should help your fuel stay in liquid form. When you get it going again I would go fill up and make sure you're running arctic diesel. You'll still need to add anti-gel so make sure you don't skip out on that.

Good luck

fuel jelled

pull out the old fuel filter get a NEW ONE trust me get what they call DEIZEL 911 and stick some of that in the tank when you put that new fuel filter in you need to fill the cap up with deisel that way you dont work your fuel pumps to hard and you dont want to run the pumps with no fuel. the filter should only cost about 15 dollars its worth every penny and Deizel 911 isnt to expensive deizel also makes a good conditioner to clean everything I usually run it in every other tank..but use the 911 only for your first tank that will clean all your jell up. but if its getting that cold make sure you always have a no jell substance in your fuel

No if it get heated you need to run a dejeller in it thats the 911 i was talking about when the fuel jelles its like turning to ice so the fuel wont want to mix the same like kinda watery. if you need any other help let me know to ill help out as much as I can im a owner of a 99 goat cummins
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  9. TEX

TEX Senior Member

if you have any more questions just ask.
  10. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

do yourself a favor and once get her thawed out use HOWES diesel fuel anti-gel some of the best stuff out there . the AMSOIL is good if know where a dealer is . i run howes all year along mix it lite for the summer and little heavier for the winter months . also make sure buying diesel fuel for a good gas station if there a place there all the truckers fill there trucks you know your getting good quality fuel with no water. higher quailty fuels have a better cloud point for the winter vs cheaper fuels
  11. hummertech

hummertech Junior Member

you might also look into getting a lift pump set up for the truck also. the injection pumps on those engines do not like to run out of fuel. it should help with your current problem and it will help you save money down the road by not having to replace a very expensive injection pump. also avoid any additives containing alcohol, diesel engines do not like alcohol.
  12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I use Power Service Diesel Kleen in the gray bottle in summer, white bottle anti-gel in winter, red bottle 911 for emergencies. Can't go wrong! I used to work for a big towing company that did road service on heavy trucks, I've seen 911 work miracles. It actually creeps up the fuel lines like a penetrating oil. I've never needed it on my own truck even though it stays outside, my fuel filter has a heating element in it that keeps the fuel at 41 degrees. And with a little anti-gel in the tank it keeps the lines clear.
    To answer your other question, yes the 911 or other anti-gels will break the gel back down to fuel as it mixes. Won't hurt anything. Most harm you can do is overworking the pump or killing batteries when trying to start with gelled fuel. So throw the white bottle PS (walmart has it) in the tank, and keep a bottle of 911 for emergencies.