1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought a used Vee blade, have ?????

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by COLOFIREMAN, Jan 24, 2009.

1. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

I just bought a vee blade off Craigslist for $500.00 and wanted to know what mount I need for it. I will be mounting it on my 73' Jeep J4000 so I under stand a custom one is needed. From what I found here on this site, the blade looks to be a BOSS blade but the mounting is a little different. Really the only truck mounting part I'll need is the part of the lower cradle as I have the custom one on my truck currently.

Can anyone help ID this blade what mount parts I'll need, Thanks in advance.ussmileyflag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That's what my guess is to be a convential mount boss, Rt1 I believe.

3. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Where is the lift cylinder and the pump located?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

On the truck.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's an old RT1 Boss as Mark mentioned. Most likely late 80's vintage...and in excellent condition for it's age I may add.

The old conventional RT1 mounts are around you just have to watch for them. Possibly in the same place you found the plow would be a good place to start.

You could also modify the attachment arrangment on the plow side to make it any way you wanted..don't have to stick with the stock Boss attachment design.

6. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

Thanks, I've done alot of searching for a RT 1 mount without success. So I made plans to make it mount to my Western style mount, which is what I have on the truck. As far as the lift motor, I'll have to get a universal 4 way pump, and lift ram, to make it work. It's very big though, measures 4.1 on each wing and it is 36" high.

Any idea how heavy this thing might be compared to my 8.5' pro plow?:cool:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It'll be heavier for sure...possibly up to 100 lbs more, just depends on your final mount design.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Here is the ebay link with all the Boss mounts for sale. Looks like there is a RT1 mount in one of the pictures. He states local pick up only so not sure if that is the way to go. Maybe contact him and offer $333.33 for it. At a third of the price he is asking for all of it and as long as he has had it listed maybe he will pull that one out and sell it to you. Worth a try.

Seems a high price to pay for a mount but with what is there you could sell some of the other stuff to make your money back.

Nice find if you can make it work.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Can't you use the western pump you already have.

10. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

I saw that one, I'll leave him a message to call me when he doesn't sell them($1200:dizzy:) and wants to ship, Thanks. :drinkup:

Well the problem I found on the Western site in the hydraulics layout page is, my pro plow is a straight blade and the lift pump and hydraulic manifold I have will not allow me to scoop. By openning valve #2 without the motor on it will allow the blade to vee but I can't see how to make it scoop with this manifold. I called around and no one will help me in buying a different manifold to work with this pump. If you have any insite in this PLEASE LET ME KNOW. It would save me alot of money to be able to use the lift system I have instead of buying a new pump

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can not run the vee with your straight blade valving as you don't (as you've discovered) have enough control functions in order to do so. Need the manifold/pump assembly for a vee.

12. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

Instead of using the $1600.00 dollar lift motor boss sells gor this plow I have an idea to use lower rider pumps that I was able to get of them used for $500.00 to work the plow.
    [​IMG]

Yes i know they're chrome but they work very well and are faster then a normal plow pump. I'll have to use a remote mount vavle block off of a meyer type lift pump which I believe can be used like that. What do you guys think? I'll re-post this idea in the meyer thread too.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as the pump psi is adjustable and capable of producing 2300 psi, and it will hold 2qts of oil in the reservoir, yes it would do the job.

14. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I have one of those boss setups as well. When I bought the plow, I did get the mount but I didn't get any hydrauics.....so I made my own hydraulic system. I used a hydro pump from an old car hauler, ordered a valve bank (electrically operated) that had a pressure relief valve incorperated, about 10 feet of 7 gang wire and three replacement meyer toggle switches (two that spring back to center and one with a detent for float operation. After I fabbed everything up how I wanted it, and it was one nightmare of a job, I measured the lengths of each hose neaded (this works best if you have an actual hose that you can run through that space, this way the length of hose will be correct due to the radius of the bends), and had them made to those lengths.

15. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

Thanks for the advice. As far as the switch, I have the Western switch from my older plow that I'm going to use like this one....
    [​IMG]
    Except right side up.;):D

16. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I did see one of these older boss v blades on an 02 superduty that an older gentleman had. It had the cable operated western pump setup on it but he wasn't about to share how he made it work, he would only say that it was tricky.