1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just bought a used truck with plow, now what? :)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ny65, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ny65

ny65 Member

Hi all, I have never plowed before in my life, and I just purchased a truck with a plow for my own personal use, family driveways bascially. It is a 1993 ford f250 XL reg cab with leaf springs in the front. I am assuming the original owner bought the truck with plowing in mind. It has a 7 1/2 foot Fisher plow with the joystick for the the hydraulics. The plow is a bit on the rusty side, so I planned on painting it and doing maintenance on it before I cover it for the summer. I have no idea what model plow it is. So how would I go about getting parts if needed? Also any advice for paining ( type of paint, primer, prep) and what to do maintenance wise Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Does is say Speed Caster or Minute Mount on the plow?

3. ny65

ny65 Member

I don't see any writing on the plow except the fisher logo on the back and 2 different labels. I think I have pics of the labels. I will take pics tomorrow of the plow if you think it will help.

4. mercer_me

Yes, pleas post the pictures. Does the whole head hear unit come off the truck or does just the blade come off?

5. ny65

ny65 Member

6. mercer_me

That's a 7.5' Fisher Speed Caster. It's refered to as a Quik Switch. They are pretty simple and there isn't much to go wrong with them. But, if you did need parts you could find most parts for it at a Fisher dealer or a auto parts store. As far as paint gos I wouln't get to worked up about buying special paint if it was me. Since Speed Casters arn't in high demand it's not worth alot. Don't get me wrong it's great plow but, it's just nothing that's realy worth getting it compleatly repainted.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  7. ny65

ny65 Member

Hi Mercer thanks for the quick reply. The painting is more to keep it from rusting further. I figured I would hit it with a wirewheel for the flaky spots then some rustoleum primer and finish off with a bright yellow paint. I am also going to buy some fluid film to coat the hydraulic pistons. It is not going to be getting heavy use, just friends and family within a 10 block area. I just want to make it last. Any maintenance tips you can give would be appreciated.

8. mercer_me

That sounds like a good idea. Just get rid of that rust and paint the unpainted spots and you should be good.

9. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

yea mercer pretty much hit it on the head. about the only thing paint is going to do is look better. Sunrise yellow...made by rustoleum...is the closet that i can find to fisher yellow without paying the price of fisher. Thats what i painted mine with and you really cant tell to much difference from factory. Probably just replace hoses and keep up on fluid change and the thing will last a lifetime. As far as getting parts for it i would get hoses from a parts store but you can find most anything else from junkyards. and it will be a heck of alot cheaper.

10. ny65

ny65 Member

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the input. My brother inlaw was over this weekend to give me a hand positioning the plow so I can scrape and paint. He is a little more thorough than I am. Which is a good thing. He said let's do it really well trhis time, so it will only need minor m,ainrtenance in the future. So now the plow is completely disassembled in my driveway. I have like 47 parts including pins and bolts. :) But it's a good thing because all the cotter pins that hold the pins in place for the part that attaches to the spring were completely rusted out. better to find this out now, than when I am plowing. I bought the sunrise yellowfor the front of the plow, and black for the back and the mount. I also bought the rustoleum rust reformer. I will hit all the rust spots with that prior to priming. By the time I am done it should look almost new. Any suggestions on how to scrape the springs? they seem really bad. I was going to tap them with a hammer to chip off the loose stuff then hit it them with a wire wheel. It's going to be tough with that bar going down the center though. As always i am open to suggestions from youguys. Thanks again.

11. mercer_me

If you have an air compresor you should get a needle gun. They work great for removing rust and old paint.

[​IMG]

12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I'd just buy new trip springs instead of trying to make yours look like new. They are not expensive.

13. ny65

ny65 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a compressor. I wish I did. It would make a lolt of things simpler. :) According to mercer_me this is a speed csaster. I went to Fisher site but could not find parts for it. Any suggestions? I figure I have a whole day just trying to get the rust off the springs. If theyt are cheap enough, i will replace them. This way i get the job done quicker. Also any suggestions on hardware. For the nuts, bolts, cotter pins. Steel, galvanized, stainless. My real objective is to do it well now, then only light maintenance for the rest of the plows life. I find it is easier to maintain than to have to restore. Thanks for your help.

14. mercer_me

You can get alot of parts for Speed Casters in junk yards depending on where your located. What state are you in. Stainless hardware is the best way to go IMO.

15. ny65

ny65 Member

I live in NY state. Suffolk county. I already bought stainless haerdware for the snowfoil. I guess I should go stainless on the cotter pins. Those are kinda important. :)

16. ny65

ny65 Member

Finally done !

I want to thank everyone that helped me out. Especially, Mercer_Me, Tracy89 and Cat 245me. You gentlemen gave me the insight I needed to get this job plow refurbished. I am attaching a few pics. I sanded and treated the rust, painted it sunrise yellow, replaced all the hardware with stainless and gave it a good healthy dose of FluidFilm. Everything appears to be working right now, But I am sure I will be back looking for help the minute something breaks. :) Thanks again for all the help. It really was needed and appreciated.:)

IMG-20111211-00280.jpg

IMG-20111211-00279.jpg

IMG-20111211-00281.jpg

17. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

That looks like it came out great!!! Good Job!!!!

18. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

You got that baby looking new. Great job. I thought you were going to paint the back of the blade black? Regardless, it looks great the way it is.

So what did you pay for the truck and plow if you don't mind telling?

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

A word of caution: typical SS hardware is really only equivalent to Grade 2 strength-wise. I would stick with Grade 8 zinc-plated hardware.

20. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I think there is something missing, I think there is supposed to be a new Fisher decal on there. Oh and don't forget the blade guides.