1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Bought a Truck with a Sno-way lil-help

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Total_Mayhem, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Total_Mayhem

Total_Mayhem Junior Member

Hello, all Just became a member, 1st post so I am a Newbie, Please take it easy on me as I stay away from joining message boards because most, (not all) seem to have members that flame on you for your thoughts, or little knowledge about something they have used for years. I have read some of the post, lurking for awhile and Feel that most of the posters here have been very nice and helpful to others so decided to give it a try..

OK, now that that's out of the way.
    I will try to check this and stay upon it as much as I can.

Now.. Just Bought a Truck 1994 GMC SLE ext cab 6 foot box 3/4 ton, with a SnoWay 28-V already installed.. My past experience has included Scrap yard found Manual turn home built mount raised by a winch 15 years ago on a 77 Chevy Blazer.. used it to make some cash to Buy a Western Pro plow.. Straight blade used it for a few years along with a Meyer HD-10 ft ..cut down top for weight loss on a 1985 1 ton four door, That one was a big lot pusher, these kept me in beans & rice during winter hours..
    Sold both of those trucks and plows, and finally 10 years ago bought a 1987 last year GMC Square body 1 ton with a Boss 8'2" ft V plow.. Though many snow storms, that ole truck and blade hammer though some wild snow packed roads & drives..

I'm not a Commercial plow operator. Just used it for a few Friends and Family drives, picking up on a Couple of jobs a long the way to pay for some gas.. In 10 years I grew to really love that old Boss plow. well time has come to move on, or up a few years on the truck plow package and This became my choice..

The 1994 GMC SLE with the Snoway 28-V 9'1" already installed
    felt the price was right and timing came to play also..

Now if I have kept your interest thus far, just wanted to state some back ground above so all the members will know I have used several types of plows and do have some modest background & up keep on the plows & Trucks attached to them... the only thing is All my Plow Trucks have been Chevy Or GMC, yes you heard me right..lol mainly because around my area.. Mid State Indiana parts for them were easy and fairly priced to come by.. now again...

My reason for posting is General care you have had to do, tips, tricks and all around thoughts on a "New To Me" SnoWay 28-V 9'1" Plow.. I think 3-5 years old..

I have been to SnoWays site down loaded the PDF Manuals for it..
    But, wanted to ask you the members and users what to expect out of this plow..
    any help or foreword will be Thanked for in advance..

Again I am sorry for my long post just wanted to
    give a little bit of the past to fill everyone in.

Wishing you all a Snow filled Winter Holiday with minimal breakdowns.
    Thank you.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Welcome to plow site. Your Snoway needs the same attention any plow needs, regular fluid changes, lubrication, and electrical maintenance (di-electric grease for corrosion control) Setting up the articulators would be the only thing you might want to check. The instructions are in the manual.

If you have any problems give a shout.

3. Total_Mayhem

Thank you for the welcome basher.
    I have read many of your posts, I respect your knowledge of Plow mechanics, appreciate your input.
    If anyone can add any trick, tips, or general ideals they used for the Snoway 28-V.. Please add to the forum topic..

4. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

:yow!: <---thats pretty much all the flaming you will get out of members on this site.

Basher pretty well covered it. Is yours the old 3 point hook up? or the new style?

welcome to the site and happy plowing :)

5. Total_Mayhem

Thank you for the Welcome Snowman2025...
    I would say the older 3 point hook up then.. 2 pins to the outer edge, one higher set pin in the middle.
    I am suppose to pick it up in a day or so. I can get the I.D.number off the plow then.. will this help me to date the year of the plow? How old would the plow be with the older 3 point hook up?
    thank you for your post..

6. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

If i remember right, the year is stamped into the S/N.

We have had some problems with my dad's 28V on the electrical hook-ups. Most likely from lack of di-electric grease and mice :). Other than that it works great, I believe you will enjoy it.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

On the bottom of the plow frame there is a round hole snow and ice will pack into and break or tear the hydraulic hose if you stack snow too high. That's the only issue I have had with my 28V. Maintenence is key and Welcome to the Sno-Way family.

8. Total_Mayhem

I will find out the S/N as soon as I pick it up then, will check it. Thanks for that..

Thank you Hydro 37 for the welcome..
    Is there any way to patch the hole and still leave everything in working condition..?
    I do plow a couple of family homes that require me to put all the snow in a huge pile,
    so this could become a factor.