1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just bought a truck, should I put a plow on it???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by allseasonturf, Jan 16, 2016.

1. allseasonturf

allseasonturf Junior Member

Hello everyone:
    I have been a member of various forums, but not of this one and I am new to the snow removal industry. I just bought a used Chevy Silverado 1500 for work/personal use and would like to put a plow in front of it. My Lawn and landscape business is in the fledgling stage, as I work full time in a similar industry. The truck was used, with 97000 miles on it, one owner and I was told he was an old farmer who drove it around very little. Doing the math, its like 6400 miles per year, and there is no proof of a beat up truck bed or plow abuse.
    On to the topic at hand. I would like to put a plow in front of this truck. I also would like to beef up the front end a bit ( iv heard this is important in most cases) and also do not foresee keeping this truck for the rest of my life. I bought this truck because my explorer was having transmission and electrical problems that I didn't want to deal with sinking money into a losing proposition. As of now, I only have 2 paid driveways in town, and my own. I don't need anything too serious and would like to keep the cost down as I am not taking out any loans to fund this business.
    I would like to get something middle of the road; something that is dependable yet financially on par with a small start-up. Hopefully down the road I will be investing more, but as for now, I need something residential. I looked at the "homesteader" from Fisher but it looked too easy...
    Any suggestions would be great as I am wrecking myself pushing and shoveling as of now!!!!! I have an old fickle snow blower that I leave in my driveway; it's more time-efficient to shovel than it is to try and start that beast.

Thank you in advance!!

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

2 driveways? A homesteader would do just fine for that. I wouldn't go into plowing commercial or industrial lots with one though as its not meant for it

3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

2 drives, isn't worth a plow in my opinion. Honestly 2 drives isn't worth even going into business for, after insurance and overhead you will be in the hole. I don't know if you can, but I'd skip it this year. It's a little late to be starting anyway. Next year get more places and let your amount of business decide whether to get a plow or not. Unless you get a bunch more places I wouldn't get anything but a blower and shovels. If you're going to spend money on a plow don't waste it on "homeowner plows" get a legit plow. Do a search on here, everyone has asked about plows on half tons (including myself unfortunately). Look into insurance if you get a plow, you'll be surprised. Also get a business plan and figure out exactly how you're going to run a business. Read as much info as your brain can take,learn from our mistakes, and good luck.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Good advice above. If it were me, I'd just spend the money on a better blower. It would help you personally and make doing those other two drives easier and faster for you.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Maybe you can expand homsteader is garbage get a sd or ht

6. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

If your looking to do it as a business then the insurance and biz plan etc are the way to go. Two driveways is not a business...

My reason for getting a plow was simply being tired of snowblowing. I had picked up a ginormous $700 snowblower. Used it twice and said F this... Sold to my bud at a $50 loss. Looked hard at all the half ton plows and ended up with a snowdogg MD75. Installed om my Mountaineer it was somewhere under $3500. Moved it to my Ram ($250 found a used ram mount here). I get up hit remote start the heat is on and truck is warm before I get in. That was six maybe 7 years ago and just doing a few drives for friends or friends mothers etc it has more than paid for it self. I was even after year two. Have put no wear and tear parts into the truck yet. Just keeps working. Only thing I bought was a timbrens, decent light and added a backdrag blade.

You can baby step into plowing. I would get a mid weight 8' to start knowing what I know now(no 1/2 ton v blades were around at the time) . If you really want it to be a business then pop for a heavier straight blade or a 1/2 ton V blade.

I'm partial to Snowdogg but then that's what I bought initially and it has never failed me. Get what you can get good support on if your going commercial.

my .02

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  7. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

Everyone tried down talking the Western Mid-weight but for what I use it for that is a good blade for a half ton.... I would check into that blade. The next model up was close to 120 lb's heavier. I've broke even already this year doing what I do so as of now everything is profit.

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the site. Now what year truck, standard cab? Where are you at. Has it even snowed yet? If it was me I would finish the season out with what you are doing now. Then in spring look for a GOOD used plow. Listen to these guys about insurance. Thumbs Up

9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

western is great the midwieght esp i stay away from used you dont wanna other peoples problems

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ive always said don't buy what you need now, buy what you'll need down the road.

Mid-weight is a excellent choice for a half ton and would work for a 3/4 once ur business expands.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

X2 this goes gor trucks too, get more truck than you need.

A1/2 ton will easily and quickly be over burdened by the load you carry and tow.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If used correctly a 1/2 ton isn't more over worked then a 1 ton or a 5 ton etc. If I didn't have much work or the need to tow a lot of weight I'd buy a half. Take Olddogs advice.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Sure, you can drive a spike with a tack hammer when used correctly
    but why?

When there is a proper tool for the job.

This applies for both the truck and plow.

gee, then get a 5 ton.....
    if the job call for it.pumpkin:
    but then I wouldn't get a 1ton to do the job of a 5ton.....
    or a 5ton to do the job a 1 or a 3/4 ton can handle with out beating on it.

and remember time is money, so take it easy and you will be fine,
    or get a truck and plow that can make the money.

yea, you'd get all 1/2 :laughing::laughing:

flame suite on, all of the 1/2 tone users can :angry: now.

This is my jmo and experiences your business plain may differ
    so may your training and how you were raised..:drinkup::waving:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016