1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought a new /USED 06 C/C Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy/GMC, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Ok Done Deal!!! After several days of negotiating on my trade-in and price of truck I picked up my truck last night. It's a 06 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax and of course a 4x4, I will be putting my Boss 7.5 STR Poly on it here before to long. Anyone think I need to do anything else to the front end or do you think I'll be ok? Oh the truck has 53,550 miles on it. What else do I need to know about Installing everything? I will be doing it on my own.

I have this posted in another thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Your going to need a few cranks on the torsion bars and Timbrens. Also a 7.6 plow is too small for that truck, you should be looking at an 8' or 8'6". I had a 7.6 on my truck and it was too small and I upgraded to an 8.6 Western MVP. Most guys on here will tell you the 7.6 is too small.

3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

you'll need wings with that, if anything- i have an 8'6" XV and sometimes it's too small

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

We need pics

5. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

NCat496 nailed it. Timbrens, a few turns on the t-bars, a set of BOSS wings, and you'll be good to go. Don't forget the ballast to keep the back end planted because you are going to be WAY overweight on the front axle rating...

6. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

If you are going to buy a new plow get atleast an 8'6". I have a 7'6" with my extended cab and it is not big enough. I would like a 9 footer.

7. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

OK I will try to figure out how to do that, ???

8. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Ok here goes this is at the dealer ship yesterday. I traded in my wifes 01 Mustang GT Convertible.

023.jpg

018.jpg

9. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Dude that's a beautiful truck.... One word of advice though... First and foremost, change the fuel filter in it now... That way you know that its fresh... A dirty fuel filter will reek HAVOC on that truck and keep you scratching your head...a $45 part that will save a headache... Also, watch those roof lights... They look aftermarket so just make sure they are nice and snug with a tight seal.. And lastly, what type of plowing will you be doing? If drives, stay with the 7.5 and put wings on it so you can save your $$$....either that or go 8 with wings for commercial.. That way your not too heavy.. Goodluck and GREAT choice on your truck decision.. You won't be dissapointed.

10. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Thanks,
    Also yeah I do mostly just driveways. I have about 15 drives that I do and two little parking lots that arn't really that big. I'd really like to just use my 7.5 str blade. My father-in law has the same one on his 05 Chevy extended cab gas-er so I'd think it would pretty much be the same witdh of truck as my c/c. I will look into the lights I guess I didn't't realize they where after market. I do like them though. About the filter do you really think it needs changed ??the truck only has 53,500 miles on it. How difficult is it to change?

11. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

That's a helluva way to upgrade! Welcome to the D-Max club and make sure you bookmark www.dieselplace.com.

Check the DIC for fuel filter life. I've found mine to be painfully accurate. When it said 2%, my engine started throwing codes and loosing power bad. Changed the filter and it all works great again. The filter isn't really easy to change. If the inner fender wasn't in the way it would be a cinch to reach in from above the tire, but reaching down from above the engine requires your wrist to bend in unnatural ways. You can do it in about 1/2 hour once you figure it out. The first time will probably take a full hour. You'll want a strap wrench to unscrew the old one. Make sure you unplug the connector on the bottom before you start twisting. Don't go cheap on your filters. It's false economy when you consider the cost of new injectors!

There's no way the filter in there now is original. I've done mine twice already and I haven't hit 30K yet.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I have the exact same truck minus the cab lights and add in a few other factory options (looks a little different now than it did in this pic)......you need at least an 8'6" plow on that thing, even for driveways! Trust me, I have an 8'6" and i wish i had found a 9. I don't see a need for timbrens in my truck as it squats less than an inch now, but ballast is a MUST!

Beautiful truck, you'll love it! Post more pics when you can and definitely go through and do fluid and filter changes now so you know they've been done!

http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56384&d=1241199822

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  13. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I do a fuel filter change every 15k... Which to me is every 2 oil changes. Cheap insurance. These motors rely so much on clean fuel that frequent filter changes is a must. As for a 9ft plow.... For driveways?... No way... At least not around here!

14. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Ok thanks for all the info guys. I will for sure change the fuel filter. My Dad will be using the truck to Drive out to Seattle Washington the day After Christmas to bring back a 38' fifth wheel RV. So when he gets back in a couple weeks I will be installing my old Boss 7.6 str ploy and then I will be retiring my 97 GMC 1/2 ton.
    The GMC has been a very good little truck for the past 8 winters but it's time to upgrade.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

That truck is gorgeous! Congrats on the purchase!

16. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Good looking truck. Mines an 07 GMC in silver birch. You'll enjoy it.

X5 on the Pro-Wings. I put a set on my 7.5 Fisher and was basically kicking myself for not doing it earlier.

17. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Why do you guys say a 7.5 is to small he does driveways.I run a 7.5 on my crew cab doing city streets and it is just fine.Don`t listen to the hype a 7.5 is fine for any full size single wheel truck.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Big difference between doing city streets and doing residential drives with a narrow plow on a long truck. Requires you to have the truck too close to obstructions in order to clean to the edges. Have to move the truck around too much to reach all areas and the longer truck just makes the maneuvering worse. With a wider blade you can keep the truck on the driveway where it belongs.