1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just bought a new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fordman, Dec 16, 2001.

1. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I recently bought a 1991 Dodge 2500 pickup. It has the 5.9L diesel in it. My question is can it take the weight of a fisher 8.5 V plow, several people told me it can't. What do you guys think?

thanks in advance for any input

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

91 is still the old body style, correct? They were heavy duty trucks yes, but a Fisher V is a heavy plow. You might still be able to read your front GAWR on the drivers door jamb, or in the glove box under camper loading data. I have a feeling you might be pushing the limits of that front axle with the deisel engine....
    An add a leaf kit would help the truck carry the weight better.

My brother had a 91 dodge 1/2 ton. He had a Meyer 7.5' plow on it. It didn't handle the weight well, but an add a leaf solved all problems. The same Meyer is on his 95 Ram 1500, which handled it better than the 91. We installed a 2" lift kit anyway though.

What I am getting at is if a 1/2 ton can handle the weight of a Meyer, a 3/4 ton should be able to handle the weight of the Fisher V. It's just the added weight of the diesel that could be a problem.

~Chuck