1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought a new Tornado 1.8

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Krasy Joe, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Krasy Joe

Krasy Joe Junior Member

Hey guys...

I just got my new Tornado 1.8 the other day. I am a total noob when it comes to all this stuff and am wondering if there are any issues that I should address before I take it out for the first time.

ie....options, mods, adjustments, etc.

-I have heard that one of the first buys for these things is something called an "inverted V" but when I went to WESTERNS site, they had no such option for the spreaders.

-I also had questions about if/when the spreader gets clogged or jammed. Is there any particular way to fix this situation if/when it arises. Anyone have any tricks up their sleeves...a make shift tool they wont leave the yard without.

-Has anyone figured out the best conveyor/spinner speed for a nice even spread of salt/sand mix on a road in one pass?

-Living on the West Coast of Canada...anyone have any suggestions on what your salt/sand mix ratio should be?

ok...so I have lots of questions and most of these have probably been covered more than once, but I couldnt find the appropriate threads.

Thanks in advance guys.tymusic

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i would double check your bolts and set screws, i had mine come loose during a storm. Before you mount the chute i would use spray on undercoat or bedliner to cover the motor and electric junction box. it's right down in the salt and will get covered everytime you salt. IMO i would buy, or in my case, make an inverted V. it will take some stress of the conveyor. cant remember my settings. if you were ever to have it freeze up i have found it best to go to a carwash and start wetting it all down on "soap" (around here soap is hot water) works everytime. if it was a small jam you could just take the chute off and access the feed gate to poke around. the way they come i dont think they spread good. i had to modify the band around the spinner to get it to spread evenly
    steve

3. Krasy Joe

Krasy Joe Junior Member

Hey xtreem3d...

I was talking with a couple of the installers at a Western dealer. They all said that ever since they switched the salter from a rubber conveyer to a chain conveyer they havent really sold alot of the inverted V. They said that the old rubber conveyers were prone to load pressures, but not the newer ones from the last 3 years. But he told me he would sell me one anyways for $219.80....lol

How old is your spreader?