1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought a new Boss xt poly and got charged extra or smartlocks!!!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by snowbelt5, Jan 9, 2014.

1. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

Its kind of a long story but I went to go pick up my new plow today and when I went to look at it the guys put it together with standard angle cylinders, not the smartlock cylinders that come standard with the plow.(it even says in the boss brochure). When I confronted him about it he told me the smartlocks were a $300.00 upgrade and that his price didn't include the smartlocks. I then asked if he could help me out a little and he said I will do it for $200.00. I then said ok, and they changed out the cylinders to the smartlocks. In the meantime while I was waiting I picked up a boss brochure and sure enough just like I thought the smartlocks are listed under "standard features for the smartlocks and I am still paying $200.00 for them. So after I got the plow hooked up to the truck I confronted him again and said,"listin, the smartlocks are a standard feature of the plow, why am I being charged extra on top of the price of the plow that you gave me? That is like taking the new style headlights off and putting a cheaper headlight on it or taking the new style cutting edge off and putting the older style on." All he could say was My price does not include the smartlocks.

All In all I feel really mistreated that someone would take standard equipment off a plow and give a customer a price on a plow with no smartlocks. I could have told him to shove it but it was already on my truck and he wasn't going to budge on price.

At the end of the deal we wernt cutting each others throats but we didn't leave on a handshake either. Kinda feel like I should get my $200.00 bucks back but he already said He is not going to. Oh well. Its a done deal. I love the plow though!
  2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Could be an old model. Thats a new development for boss. They were alwayse xtra
  3. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

My dealer always sold the top package with smart loks and deflector, wouldn't consider the cheaper way.
  4. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

How can I tell if its a old model or a new model. Did they change them at all?
  5. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

I realize the smartlock were extra a few years back. I had to pay extra for them in 2006 when I bought a boss v plow. But to my understanding the smartlocks were a standard feature on all the boss xt plows stating in 2011 I believe.
  6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Complain to boss directly and see where that gets ya....

You might be surprised....
  7. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I believe that newer models have a threaded hole for center belt of deflector.
  8. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

CALL BOSS!!! TODAY! They are awesome and take this seriously - and you will get a straight answer - but start with the point of the brochure.
  9. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

yes I just checked and it does have the treaded hole for the belt deflector. I contacted boss via email and they are looking into it. I will keep you guys posted on this. I am very curious to see what they are going to say.
  10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I hope this goes well for you talking with the reps at BOSS. I know they have an excellent reputation when it comes to customer relations.
  11. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

You looking for more confusion on the issue. Call and talk to a person. I betcha with boss the poeple are not in a call Center in some other country either.
  12. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe they charged extra because they put the basic cylinders on to lower the price on the plow? How much cheaper were they than the other places? I know I paid to upgrade when I had a boss v
  13. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Yes - CALL - they may even have people in all weekend as I think I got an email from BOSS Owner's Group saying they were going to be on --- can't remember the details though.
  14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Now - I wanna hear what happens!
  15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

16. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

I was going to call them but they have been getting back to me so quickly with my emails. We almost had to totally resolved in just one day but she had to look into the case a little more.. She did confirm that all Boss XT plows DO come with smartlock cylinders STANDARD. She said they will have an answer for me first thing on Monday. I will let you guys know what happens.
  17. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

Wouldn't thank be illegal? Taking Standard equipment off a plow and selling it for the same price I was quoted over the phone? If its not illegal, it sure is shady IMO.

I did pay extra for my smartlock cylinders on my flat top V plow in 2006. Back then the smartlocks were an upgrade. The people at Boss confirmed me that in early 2013 the smartlocks are Standard.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

It says they are standard right on the website. For all V-XT's. Look in the specs. If they are standard equipment, don't they come in the crate with each plow? I think the dealer is trying to make some extra $$$.
  19. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Watching this! Dealer is being shady if it's supposed to come with Smartlocks.

eating popcorn.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  20. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Awesome idea!