1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just bought a Dodge 3/4 ton - Now I need a plow!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mkzg, Oct 23, 2011.

1. mkzg

mkzg Junior Member

Hey guys! Im new to this site, and new to plowing. I finally got a truck that can do it too!

I got a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 that I need a plow for. I know that I should get at least a 7.5' and I will need an extra oil cooler for the tranny.

Are there any recomendations as to what plow I should get, also any recomendations on what to do to my truck to keep it running well?

thanks all!

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Scroll up to the top of the page and you will see a lot of plow brands and their websites. Pick the one you like with the closest dealer to you for parts and support. Are they open during storms and open late at night? Stuff like that. Asking for plow recommendations is one of the most asked and most worn out questions here. It's a discussion that goes nowhere and leaves the OP still wondering which one to get.

The search feature will give you hours and hours of reading.

Stay on top of regular maintenance and it will be fine.

3. mkzg

mkzg Junior Member

Im in Minnesota if anyone has recomendations. Thanks Banksy for your recommendation. I will look to see what dealers are open late!

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

What are you going to be plowing and why do you think you need an extra trans cooler?

5. mkzg

mkzg Junior Member

I will be doing a couple drives and alley ways. I dont think I will have anything big. As to the cooler, Ive heard I need one. Not true?

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

If you are only going to be plowing a few drives and alleys I don't think you need a cooler. I am plowing with my truck at about 500 horsepower and I have not had trans temp issues. I do everything from short driveways to parking lots up to about 2 acres. The only time is starts getting hot is when I am really working it plowing a lot of deep heavy snow in a big parking lot. I suppose it could be different for your truck. What I would suggest is that you get an aftermarket transmission temperature gauge installed. For sure.

7. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I have a 97 2500 diesel and i have never had any issues with the tranny getting hot

8. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

my 97 dodge 1500 with 200k on it never had problems with the tranny heating up either

9. johnyredd99

johnyredd99 Junior Member

if you plan on using the truck during the summer months yes going w/ trans cooler.
    its a simple install and they run from around $60-100. The cooler you keep that trans the longer it will last. Watch also how tall the plow you want is. Being that your truck is gas and not diesel it will want to overheat the engine. the taller plows block incoming air flow unless you drive w/ the plow almost on the ground

I have a 95 2500 w/ 190000 miles. I currently plow for another company and do not have a plow for my truck. Want one in the worst way so I can break away from other company. But really how much more can I ask my truck to do?

Personally for plows If money flow is endless I would go w/ a fisher or boss. From experience meyer plows seem to break down more but are cheaper up front and replacement parts are cheap and easy to come by.

I would try and find the lightest heavy duty plow available. and plow early and often. alot of wear and tear on parts that are almost 15 years old.

10. mkzg

mkzg Junior Member

Thanks for the input! I will probably put a trans cooler on just to be safe - better safe than sorry.

I got a mount for a Boss, thats what I decided to go with. Now Im looking for a deal on a blade! I dont think I will have an issue with my engine getting to hot in the winter with a plow. I could just drop all the coolant and put straight antifreeze in it also! options options!

11. johnyredd99

johnyredd99 Junior Member

I wouldnt of thought the 2500 I use to plow w/ would overheat when its 30degrees out and snowing either. but after 3-4 hours of pushing heavy snow it does.

would running straight antifreeze keep the engine running cooler?
    I have heard that straight water can be run during the summer didnt know antifreeze would help keeping things cool

12. mkzg

mkzg Junior Member

Ive heard it can make it run cooler. Otherwise I could put a higher CFM fan in that has a switch I can control. I know some sports cars do that in the hot summer months to keep them cool

13. mkzg

mkzg Junior Member

Well I ended up getting a plow.

I bought a 8 1/2 footer Boss RT3 straight blade - super duty with smart hitch. I paid $2500 all said and done with the plow/mount/wiring (new wiring and newer mount) the Blade is in good condition - new pump, hoses and stand. It is the first gen of the RT3 with the newer headlights swapped onto it. It should be a good reliable plow with the newer parts.

Time to get everything installed onto my truck now and wait for snow!