1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just bought a 94 ford

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Aug 31, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

hello all, i just bought a 94 4x4 f150 with 4in lift to make it be like a 250, and it has added leaf springs/helper springs. im looking to plow this winter, i know this truck may not be the best for plowing but it sure beats the hell out of my 98 dakota 2wd v6.

so what im asking is, is this going to be okay to plow with for the first year, and what kind of plow should i purchase? i dont want anything over a 7footer. thanks again

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That 4" lift may make it sit as high as a 250, but that's all.

As far as a plow, put about any 7'6" on it - my preference is Fisher, but about any brand will be fine.

3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

7'6" blade is right for 1/2 ton. 7' is too narrow.

The width must be relative to vehicle width.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Any 7'6" would be fine, Fisher makes the LD 7'6" if you are looking for the length without the extra weight. The F-150 will plow fine, have had no problems with mine, I can plow anything.

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

what motor is in that you should make sure it has a tranny cooler might wanna go with a cutis, western, meyer, unless you beef up those springs i think a fisher might way that nose down alot and its meaner on the truck imo

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Curtis 7'6" weighs 200 MORE lbs than fisher RD 7'6"

7. PremierLand

from detroit

it only has a v8 302 in it. but its still ALOT better then my dakota...

anytips on what kinda plow i should be looking at? i dont want a V, i just want it to be straight and can turn it left and right. sorry, this is my first year plowing, im new to this aspect of the business.

also, ive been told that in some of the plows the hydraulic fluid will freeze up and is hard to heat up and get working again?
    what plows do NOT do this and what plows DO do this?

thanks for the help.

8. PLOWMAN45

you get mositure or water in there they will all do that so and the 302 is a tuff motor so you should be all set

9. PremierLand

from detroit

oh okay, thanks plowman...

i just want to get a decent plow, nothing to fancy, but nothing to skimpy.

what kind should i be looking at? boss? curits? myer?

also, will they work on my truck?

10. PLOWMAN45

i really like curtis course meyer just made some big changes to there line up but you want plow dealer close in case you run into troubles

11. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Here is my 93 F150 with 2WD F250 springs and a 7&1/2 Fisher MM:

12. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Here goes:

13. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

OK, OK it's taking me a while to figure this one out! Bear with me!

14. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Sorry but I can't figure this out!

15. PremierLand

from detroit

well im thinking about just fixing this truck up (the 94 f150) and selling it. It needs a new windsheild, bedliner, really good cleaning on the interior, and of 2 days ago my pops said it needs a rear main because when i was driving the oil pressure dropped all the way and i knew that it meant my engine was out of oil probably and i didnt wanna hurt the engine so i pulled over, called my father and he came and said it needed a rear main, so there's one more thing it needs. but hey, once i fix it up ill figure out what i will do with it. if it runs good, then perhaps ill keep it, or maybe jus sell it for double (it said its worth double what i paid for it on KBB). i paid $3500 for it, figure $150 for windsheild and probably $400 for rear main, part is like $20 but ALOT in labor. plus it needs the diff's changed with fluid. so im thinking no more than a grand to get her looking pretty, then ill see what i want to do.

what do you guys think? fix it up and use it for plowing? or fix it up and try selling it for $6500-$7000?

16. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

I have a 90 f150 with the 302 motor and a 7 1/2 foot Fisher RD with the "quick switch" mounting system (traditional mount, not minute mount). It is a solid plow for sure. I bought the truck a few years ago with the plow already installed and it lived a hard life before I got it (not that I baby it either).
    I would definitely recommend Fisher IF you can access parts easily where you are. Not because they break often, but when something does break you will want it ASAP!

Good Luck
    Matt :drinkup: